Military Firearm Restoration Corner

First sporter

MarkTX

I went to "Finished Products" but it said no new threads or replies so I put it here. My first project completed but not field tested that will come tomorrow. I'll load up 20 rounds and head to the range tomorrow. It's low budget now but I plan on a Boyd's laminate and duracoat as well as a new floorplate and extendede button. $80 for A&B Corelie special from Midway a$9 saftey, $25 E-Bay bolt, Bold trigger and redfield mounts. Had a choice of tasco or Bushnell and went with the Tasco but plan on going with a fixed 4 or 6 later maybe Weaver. Was forunate enough to be lent reamer and guages. Don't know if this is the right place for this , if not my apoligies.

post-283-1138412436_thumb.jpg

Looks good! I think you did a fine job. I bet its turns out to be pretty accurate too.

I imagine you'll shoot a nice South Texas deer with it next year.

Good job!

Jason

It looks sharp. I also understand messing with guns on a budget. What caliber did you go with? Rather than redoing that one you could just use those other methods on the next project. I hope you can shoot smiley faces on the target with it.

I thought I put that in there, 35Whelen. Thats why I' m thinking of the fixed power scope and I think you're right it didn't turn to bad and sure have been thinking about another and I haven't even fired this one yet.

I thought I put that in there, 35Whelen. Thats why I' m thinking of the fixed power scope and I think you're right it didn't turn to bad and sure have been thinking about another and I haven't even fired this one yet.

Addicting isn't it. The bad or good thing depending on your point of veiw is after a dozen or so you'll still feel the same way.

-Don

Mark,hurry up and shoot her.I have a Whelen that's finished except for bluing and can't wait to shoot it,but am so tied down remodeling a house,I can't find time to try it out,so,I'm waiting on your report figuring if you like yours,I'll like mine.I built mine to use in Colorado elk hunting.My brother moved up there 3 years ago and lives about 25 miles from town up in the mountains and has really just begun to find good hunting areas that have little hunting pressure,so I'm ready.Looks like you done a dang good job on your rifle.Jerry

Guest Guest_WoodyP_*

I used to have a .35 Whelen I built on an 09 Argentine action. That thing was a real shooter. I shot it out to 300 yds at the silhouette range at the NRA's Whittington Center, and it was accurate. Just a tip; I formed my brass from 06 by using 10-11 grains of Unique, filling the case with cornmeal, and putting a little bit of 100% cotton, cotton ball on top to hold it all in. I first annealed necks by sitting cases in a cakepan of water with just the necks above water, heated them until they changed color and then just tipped them over with the torch nozzle. Had alot of fun with that rifle and wish I still owned it. I shot 250 gr Hornady's in it, and it was a tack driver. (It had a P O Ackley barrel) Recoil was pleasant. I hope you enjoy your's as much. I am now building a 338-06 on a 98/22 Czech action, and hope it works out as nice.

Good Luck and Best Regards,

Woody

Got to the range today andran 20 rounds through the Whelen without a hitch. I used H4895 , all Ihad but not what I plan on using. The last 2 shot group at 50 was less than a1/2". Then I went out to 100 and the loast 2 groups of 3 with 53 an 54grs. were 1.70" and 1.85" Fed. primers Siearra GK225grs. OAL 3.300. I'm pretty sure with some different powders I'll be able to do better. For the first time out I'm quite pleased.I'd like to thank ya'll for info and support. I'm thinking of trying BL-C(2) or RL15. The bullet touches the lands about 3.360 so I'm about .06 off . I may try a little longer and if there's any difference open up the mag well a little. When I started reloading I got alot of satifaction from putting together my own ammo and seeing the results but puting this thing together was a real kick.

Got to the range today andran 20 rounds through the Whelen without a hitch. I used H4895 , all Ihad but not what I plan on using. The last 2 shot group at 50 was less than a1/2". Then I went out to 100 and the last 2 groups of 3 with 53 an 54grs. were 1.70" and 1.85" Fed. primers Siearra GK225grs. OAL 3.300. I'm pretty sure with some different powders I'll be able to do better. For the first time out I'm quite pleased.I'd like to thank ya'll for info and support. I'm thinking of trying BL-C(2) or RL15. The bullet touches the lands about 3.360 so I'm about .06 off . I may try a little longer and if there's any difference open up the mag well a little. When I started reloading I got alot of satifaction from putting together my own ammo and seeing the results but puting this thing together was a real kick.