Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Travel

ken98k

Most of my working life I've earned a living as a pipe fitter / plumbing and heating guy. For the last 20 years or so, I have been working for the largest fuel company in Alaska, installing and servicing oil-fired hot water boilers for our customers.

2 years ago I was the last man standing because as other techs left company they were not replaced. The company  then decided to discontinue the service so I now just work on our company heating equipment around the state. Travelling around Alaska is almost always an adventure but, I'm just not into adventures so much as I used to be.

I'll be 64 in a few  days, I'd really rather just stay home! I'm in Bethel Ak as I write this, and I just got a request for me to visit Kotzebue. I guess I'll be heading there right after Christmas.   :unsure:

I'll be 64 in June, so you must be class of 78 too? 

Doc is right- Arkansas is nice, and is affordable. SC is the other inexpensive housing state. You should visit one or both of us sometime and see if that's where you want to live. Texas' lifestyle is nice, but the weather if the opposite sort of unforgiving that you are used to. I really like Birmingham, AL too. The problem with the deep south though is the noticeable racial divide. You get used to it.

You guys got a year or so on me.  I "got retired" last year.  After the mega-corp bought the little start-up I worked for (for NOTHING) just to get the customer base and so they didn't have to bid against us, they figgered out how to get rid of me.  They assigned me to a team with no funding and no customers, forbid me from working on other projects that had funding and customers, then "laid me off" because the team I was on had no funding or customers.  Being an old white, straight guy, nobody would hire me when they could hire 6 Indians in India for the same rate of pay, even if they would only get 20% of the work out of the 6 that I did.  So, when I hit 62 this year, I put in for SS and "retired."

Land and house prices have gone up everywhere.  Northwest Arkansas is great to live in, but as with everywhere else, prices have gone up.  You just have to look.  A double wide trailer on 5 acres up the street from me recently sold.  The asking price was 225K.  Further out from town, prices go down, but anything listed is not listed for long.  People in Kommiefornia and the PNW must have alerts going for new listings and buy these things sight unseen.

3 hours ago, FC said:

I'll be 64 in June, so you must be class of 78 too? 

Doc is right- Arkansas is nice, and is affordable. SC is the other inexpensive housing state. You should visit one or both of us sometime and see if that's where you want to live. Texas' lifestyle is nice, but the weather if the opposite sort of unforgiving that you are used to. I really like Birmingham, AL too. The problem with the deep south though is the noticeable racial divide. You get used to it.

Yup, HS class of 78.

56 minutes ago, Dr.Hess said:

You guys got a year or so on me.  I "got retired" last year.  After the mega-corp bought the little start-up I worked for (for NOTHING) just to get the customer base and so they didn't have to bid against us, they figgered out how to get rid of me.  They assigned me to a team with no funding and no customers, forbid me from working on other projects that had funding and customers, then "laid me off" because the team I was on had no funding or customers.  Being an old white, straight guy, nobody would hire me when they could hire 6 Indians in India for the same rate of pay, even if they would only get 20% of the work out of the 6 that I did.  So, when I hit 62 this year, I put in for SS and "retired."

Land and house prices have gone up everywhere.  Northwest Arkansas is great to live in, but as with everywhere else, prices have gone up.  You just have to look.  A double wide trailer on 5 acres up the street from me recently sold.  The asking price was 225K.  Further out from town, prices go down, but anything listed is not listed for long.  People in Kommiefornia and the PNW must have alerts going for new listings and buy these things sight unseen.

I bought the house I'm in now in early 2004. At that time local realtors were buying up small houses for rentals.   :angry: