Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What steel are Parker Hale receivers made from?…

Guest Savary

I got a Parker Hale M86 receiver from Numrich and need to get it heat treated.

And I know the heat treater is going to ask me what type of steel its made from.

Anybody know?

Thanks!

Tell him it needs to be case hardened, gas carburisation to be the preferred method. Depth between .010" and .030", have it drawn so hardness for receiver is 36 RC, Bolt about ten points harder.

Thanks for the info.

Do I need to send the bolt in too?

Its already heat treated.

I usually send in both parts but if you are ok with the bolt don;t bother. Of course, I primarily deal with milsurp actions. To answer your question about metal composition, all receivers manufactured to German ordenance specs varried so little as to be considered the same. The closest US stell in compostition was tademarked "stress proof". Check the spelling on that. Find the specs for that and you have your answer. Provided of course that PH followed the german's specs. The PH receivers can be fun since their very earliest Mauser sporters were built from battlefield booty. Then they turned to the Czechs, then whomever. The Czechs could be considered the same as the Germans. The rest?

I talked to the guy and he wanted to try heat treating it like 4140 steel first.

If it doesn’t get hard he would gas carbonize it. Was going to charge $75.

It’s most likely not 4140. The PH86s were made in the mid 1980’s, so I wonder if they were made from ‘stress proof’ steel. Think I’ll try to find a local place to gas carburize it like you recommended.

Avoid the hassle and send it to Blanchards in SLC. They know how to do it. I'd avoid anyone who wants to treat it like 4140. The steels used were a 10XX series in approximation. While I find walsh's book to be a huge disappointment he does have a composition analysis printed in the back. That may help.

As a general rule, if you don't know what you are doing with regards to mauser "heat treating" you are far better off using it as-is.

Was this one of those unfinished receivers? if so, any pieces left from the finishing process? They could be sent in for analysis to verify the type of steel used.

I’ll give Blanchard’s a call. I might send the bolt too since I lapped the lugs in.

The receiver… Numrich still has some. But the price has gone up, got mine for $80. Look under parker hale, then M85 or M86. All the holes are taped, etc, just needs some sharp edges removed, polishing, and heat treat. There was a mold or forge line on the front ring. Took me a few months to get all the other parts like trigger guard, magazines, PH scope base, etc...