Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Ready to go to work

dave h

[attachmentid=15]

This is My Lad,Evan with his shooting Car (please note the air conditioned comfort & easy access or quick escape route for Dad in emergencey ) I'm holding my 45-70 & SBH.44mag ,Ev has his Trapper in 30-30 & the ruger single six (with the mag cylynder in place I think ) .WE were off on what turned out to be a unsuccessfull goat hunt !

Dave

post-290-1138676791_thumb.jpg

Ya'll look more like a couple of desperados heading for a raid down on the Mexican border,except for the jelopy with the steering wheel on the wrong side and your flip-flops.I've shot a lot of goats at our deer lease in South Texas,and it was fun trying different guns out on them.I had the most fun shooting them with my .54 muzzleloader.I never got around to using a bow.Are those mountains in the background or a bank of clouds?Tell me again what part of the country you live in so I can kinda get an idea where to look on a map.What time of year would be the best hunting,and when would be the best time just to go camping and hanging out in the woods?Do you know any folks there with the last name Doughty?A bunch of my family left Scotland after the Battle of Dunbar,some came to Maine,and some went to Bermuda,and from there to Australia.Sorry about all the questions,and don't feel obligated to answer them,I'm just a curios redneck from Texas that likes to bullshit.Have a large day Dave,and tell Evan he's a lucky dude to get to have a hellraiser car,guns,and the freedom to go hunting when he wants.I bet he's got a bunch of townie buddies that would give their right nut to trade places with him.I grew up like him,with a Dad that taught us to hunt and fish,and me and my twin brother had a 50 model Chevy truck that we stripped the body off,cut the frame so short,the drive shaft was about 2ft long,welded 2 more rims on the back rims,and cut the center out of the outside wheel so you could get to the lug nuts,making dual wheels out of them,and welded pipe roll bars on,everything square and gas welded.It looked like pure hell,but man the fun we had on that rig spotlighting coons,possums,coyotes,and bobcats.Nowdays,you turn on a spotlight,and you'll be treated like a shoe bomber.Jerry

Ya'll look more like a couple of desperados heading for a raid down on the Mexican border,except for the jelopy with the steering wheel on the wrong side and your flip-flops.I've shot a lot of goats at our deer lease in South Texas,and it was fun trying different guns out on them.I had the most fun shooting them with my .54 muzzleloader.I never got around to using a bow.Are those mountains in the background or a bank of clouds?Tell me again what part of the country you live in so I can kinda get an idea where to look on a map.What time of year would be the best hunting,and when would be the best time just to go camping and hanging out in the woods?Do you know any folks there with the last name Doughty?A bunch of my family left Scotland after the Battle of Dunbar,some came to Maine,and some went to Bermuda,and from there to Australia.Sorry about all the questions,and don't feel obligated to answer them,I'm just a curios redneck from Texas that likes to bullshit.Have a large day Dave,and tell Evan he's a lucky dude to get to have a hellraiser car,guns,and the freedom to go hunting when he wants.I bet he's got a bunch of townie buddies that would give their right nut to trade places with him.I grew up like him,with a Dad that taught us to hunt and fish,and me and my twin brother had a 50 model Chevy truck that we stripped the body off,cut the frame so short,the drive shaft was about 2ft long,welded 2 more rims on the back rims,and cut the center out of the outside wheel so you could get to the lug nuts,making dual wheels out of them,and welded pipe roll bars on,everything square and gas welded.It looked like pure hell,but man the fun we had on that rig spotlighting coons,possums,coyotes,and bobcats.Nowdays,you turn on a spotlight,and you'll be treated like a shoe bomber.Jerry

We live just out of a town in the Flinders Ranges in South Auz called Quorn the best way to look it up is to look for the Pitchie Ritchie Railway . We hunt all year round (unless it's too wet or hot )Most of the kids of Evs age are more into Video games ,I'm afraid (& most of their parents are terrified that a young fella is alowed .....Dare I say it ???? ......To drive & shoot !!!!) When his Mom moved out here she was ###### scared of anyform of fire arm ,but soon realised that (A) they earned us a living & (B) their just a Tool ! Yes as dangerous as a power tool or a electric knife but a tool never the less ! I've seen her storm in from out the clothes line return with the .410 followed by the shot & then return muttering about a snake ! When I first letthe kids shot she was hessitant but then would come out the back door (were my proving range is ) & have a shot .Then she claimed one of my .22 single shots as her own! Then came the car for the Kids !

Now like you when I was a kid we all had old cars on our properties & Fri & Sat nights were spent Spotlighting for Rabbits & Foxes ! These cars were real heaps ! We'd cut the back out of the roofs so we could stand in em ! Brakes were a optional extra most of the time ! Most of us owned single shot .22lrs .With the occassional scoped bolt action repeater or semi auto (Capitalists ) There were a abundant supply of .410's as in those days you had a choice of 12g or .410 in Australia . Sometimes we would pool our pocket money (which came from trapping rabbits Or shooting Foxes ) & get a box of 12g & borrow a Dbl barrel from somebodies dad (after much begging & crawling ) One night out with it would cure us for the next few months ! Big Game rifles were .310 cadets followed by Milsup .303's !

Now when I got the car for the kids it was like having a third childhood (I'd been there with my kids ) Every time Tracey (My wife) turned her back we'd have something off the car! Mind you the number of times I've had to walk back home to get a tin of fuel !!!!!!!!!

Yes those are mountains behind us in fact we're surrounded by em ! It's funny what you call Flip flops are Known as Thongs over here & it took me a long time to work out why when I mentioned Thongs to people overseas they'd start laughing !!!!! I (as many others do prefer to call them Jappaniese Riding Boots & Sandles become Jappaniese Saftey Boots ) Our Kiwi Brothers refer to them as Flip flops though !

Do'nt ever worry about asking questions ! Hell! You Texans are very much like us you can think of nothing better than laying by a fire out Bush looking at the stars & telling Yarns & swapping Bullshit ! Ain't nothing wrong with that ! I think that's the main problem with the world these days ! Everybody is going too Fast ! I can't recall ever running into any Doughtys ? But you neva know ! Have a Bonza day Mate

Dave

Mad max would be proud.

Trust me when the Young bloke gets up in the Top paddocks & sees a Kangaroo! Mad Max would be like me!! Thinking Tuck & roll ,Tuck & roll !!!! Between the kids yelling, The engine screaming & the dog barking & growling whilst, trying to get out of the car (ignoring the fact that it's moving ) It's bedlam ! The kids wonder why I try to get out of going out with them? It's taken me years to realise why our dads used to send us out on our own !

Dave

Looks like a fine huntin vehicle to me as well. I have had a couple that the doors were trying to fall off of and seeing this one makes me think I should have let them. Would be great in the midwest for road hunting pheasants. Of course, you might freeze to death in the process, but a good hunt has a way of warming ones body. Now that I reside in the deep south the cold is no longer an object to contend with for me. Maybe the open air vehicle would be more practical. Looks like a proud boy there with you too. Always take time to savor moments like that and they will be with you forever. swamp_thing

Dave,I grew up calling the shoes thongs,and after the great invasion of Yankies from up north,the comman term now is flip-flop,and I've been teased so much about calling them thongs,I caved in and use the Yankee term.My cousin married a Japanese girl,and she calls them thongs.A girls thong drawers have just enough staps to hold them on,and so do the shoes,so back to thongs,the correct term.Jerry

All the women folk in my family have all been around guns all their lives,and I can only think of a couple of the newer members,nephews wives that don't have their own pistol under their pillow.Last Mothers Day,I bought my mother a .410 Rossi single barrel to kill rabbits that were eating her chicken feed and fruit trees because of the drought.My grandmother is 88 and can't sleep without her .22 Smith&Wesson in the night stand.My great grandmother carried a little .32 Browning auto somehow under her dress,and I only saw it a couple times and she died when I was 10,and although we knew it was there,thought nothing of it.Where my family is from,if you had a yard full of kids,you had a gun near for rattlesnakes,garden varmit control,rabib animals,or the worse,traveling salesmen that won't leave.My grandfathers both worked for the county blading roads and the other operated a bucket loader,both for 35 years,and they carried a .22 on their machine to shoot sqirrels when they were working in a holler.I'm close to 53,and when a kid,what we could shoot or harvest from the woods was always a bonus.Living 20 miles from the nearest little town,trying to farm during a severe drought in the 50's,making a living was tougher'n hell,but even Dad agrees,what great times we had.We always had fish hooks and .22 and shotgun shells.Damn I get old thinking back to those days with a computer in front of me and satelite tv behind.We even have a shithouse inside now,with running water.Off to work now,have a large day!Jerry

Jerry your child hood ! Must of been a great time indeed . I have nothing but good memories as a kid I must admit . Apart from the out side Shithouse (long drop ) which seemed to house most of South Australias Red Back spiders & was a long cold wet walk on a winters night ! THe thing I remember most vivardly as we still have it in the House was the Meters#2 wood stove on which my mother cooked summer & winter ! It was my job for many years to keep up a supply of cut wood for her as well as chips for our water heater in the bathroom & copper in the laundry ! I look at that stove these days & think what a small fire box it has but as a Kid it was like suppling fuel for the Boilers of the Titanic! My main argument was ....Why cut wood ? Mums only going to burn it !!!! We did'nt get power out our way on the main grid until the late 60's & before that it was wind generaters through to a bank of 12v Batteries & 32v lights .We had a Ice box I remember (As Dad would have to pick up Block Ice every couple of days .Then we got a Kerosine fridge (& were considered very high class in the district ) Most of the Meat we ate was Kangaroo,Rabbit & Goat ,as Dad considered it to be a crime to waste Mutton or even Chicken on us ,as sheep produced wool & the Chooks (Chickens ) produced eggs which could be sold !!

If we were lucky enough to find a Emus nest with fresh eggs (& more importantly distract the Male who hatches & raises the young ) Mum would use the Egg ,as we only ever took one to bake with 1emu egg =6chook eggs & was a lot stronger !My mum was never far from her .410 due to the snake problem & more importantly Goannas (a Large lizard ) that were a constant threat to her Eggs !!! & young Chicks .Us kids would Trap rabbits & were paid 50cents a pair for them by a local Rabbit shooter ,this inturn brought .22 ammo which I seem to remember was about 80cents a box for solids & a $1.15 for hollow points ! It was IMI civic & we never thought of buying hollow points .WE'd get the solids & cut crosses in the nose to Dum-Dum them to spotlight for Foxes in winter & were paid the princely sum of $5.00 per skin (Fleshed & dried ) this in turn fed our .410s & eventuarly brought .310 cadets or .303's ! Then Roos became the sort after game as we could sell the skins or the butts for pet meat (to the local Pro shooters who in turn robbed us blind )

When I left school at 15 to become a shooters offsider (a kind of apprentice) My father near killed me ! That was over 35 years ago ! In those years I have lived excluivly off the profits of hunting & it saddens me to see it comming to a end ! I lived out of my swag (Bed roll) in all weather & cooked over a open fire with only my own company for most of the time ! Romantic I suppose it sounds ? But the reality of it was it was Bloody hard Yakka (work ) with few comforts! The Problem was that & still is to a degree that Rabbits that used to plauge the country have been all but wiped out with a virus! Water Buffalo ? Gov culls & the guided hunting game drove us out of that ! Roos? a combernation of over regulation & Too many licenses being issued has destroied the Trade as we new it ! Fox skins went bust ,Pigs? well ! We cut our own throuts there! Goats ,camel & dingos well theres still a market there though Goats & Camel have attracked a live export market & of course dare I say it there is the Sporting shooter ! The Gov finds it cheaper to let Clubs into National parks to cull feral animals now instead of hiring Pros ! Not that I begrudge these people as for most of them it is the only chance they have of hunting medium sized game ! Plus the fact I'm pretty much out of it now & have more fun just going out with the kids

Dave

I thought you guys had some really restricive gun laws down there, but they let you shoot out of cars or is it just that you are out in the middle of nowhere and dont care. Where i am they let you have all the guns you want with out any permits but, all guns in a car must be enclosed in a case unloaded and ammuntion in a seperate part of the vehicle. If a game warden catches you shooting from a car or with a loaded gun in the car they take your car, guns, fine you $5,000 and send you to jail for up to 3 years. That looks like alot of fun out there :)

I thought you guys had some really restricive gun laws down there, but they let you shoot out of cars or is it just that you are out in the middle of nowhere and dont care. Where i am they let you have all the guns you want with out any permits but, all guns in a car must be enclosed in a case unloaded and ammuntion in a seperate part of the vehicle. If a game warden catches you shooting from a car or with a loaded gun in the car they take your car, guns, fine you $5,000 and send you to jail for up to 3 years. That looks like alot of fun out there :)

G'day Bob . The gov did try & stuff us around with our firearm laws It really was more of a inconveniance than a hinderance ,as no two States could really agree & so many loop holes were left . None of the laws effected me as I'm a Licensed PH . Down in the cities one would get the Book thrown at them for carring a unsecured firearm in a vehicle ,but out where we are it's quite common for people to carry a rifle were it is ready for use ! The only GameWardens we incounter over here are National Parks & Wild life Inspectors who do a mighty job in controling illegal shooters in the National Parks & Do spot checks on Pro Shooters .The Police are responsible for illegal shooters on properties. We live on a 20,000 acre property &have a constant problem with illegal shooters on long weekends & holiday periods ! Only last xmas My Brother ,who runs the farm found a group shooting the hell out of one of our tanks (water) on seeing him comming they fled leaving their car ! Now we reported this to the police & they were traced & prosicuted ! Thing is we can't work out why any one would shoot the hell out of their own car ! Cause by the time the cops turned up there was not only a Water tank shot to hell but also the car had more holes in it than a collender & those naughty people had the cheek to say that I'd done it ! The Majistrate did'nt agree & reckoned if they were fool hardy enough to Tresspass & Vadilize someone elses property they would be stupid enough to destroy their own!

Yes we also have a lot of fun out here esp the kids !As they have the Freedm to be kids

Dave