Military Firearm Restoration Corner

6.5x55AI

Jeremy

I don't know wether to be happy or mad about this. Yesterday I received my order from midway of the bag of brass and the reamer I bought to complete my build. When I opened the package the brass was as described which isn't a surprise but upon closer inspection of the reamer it turns out that it is a 6.5x55 swede Ackley improved finisher. Clearly not what I ordered or so I thought.

I went back and looked at the description on the website and it said it is supposed to be a Sammi spec finisher. Then I had a thought. Why would midway send me a reamer that is worth $65 more than what I paid for it? That isn't smart business practice for midway. Then I looked up the manufacturer part #  of PTG's  to double check and low and behold it is what I ordered. It is very clear that someone at Midway messed up or did they? Was I being set up to buy a set of dies for the AI cartridge? Now I have a reamer for this chambering and I don't want to wait for the Sammi spec reamer. It would be at least another 2 weeks to get this mess straightened out. Patients isn't my strongest quality.

Damn it. Now I'll have another wildcat cartridge to load for. I'll shoot the regular loads until all of my brass is fire formed. CH4D has the dies. Oh well I guess that is the bane of a hand loader and hobby smith. Such is life.

Does anyone have any load data for 6.5x55AI ? 

Jeremy

I looked in my database of load data and there's nothing for that round.

Personally, I think I would send it back and get the non-AI and take the delay, unless that's what you really want anyway.  If you ordered the reamer today, they would probably have it to you in a few days if it's in stock.  I'd call and find out.  Then return the other one and the billing will catch up.

It is also possible that they have the whole thing messed up in their inventory and computer systems and don't have an actual non-AI reamer.  I once ordered a Lee 429DE die set from them that specifically said it contained the accu-crimp die.  I even called up to confirm it and the guy said yes, it was in there.  Of course, it didn't have that die and I sent the whole thing back. 

I contacted Midway and informed them of the mistake on their part and they told me that I could keep it.

No, I'm going to keep it because it is going to be discontinued soon. That is probably why it was on sale to begin with.

I forgot to ask. Besides it was a better idea to invest in the reamer rather than drink and pee my money away. I'll likely build more of them when the mood hits me. Another reason I bought the reamer is the price was right. 

I also have the gauges. 

Jeremy

I don't have the AI gauges, the regular Swede go gauge can be used as the AI no-go gauge and Manson Reamers sent me the blue prints to make my own AI go gauge since their lead time is 3 months at this time. 6.5x55 Swedish AI std.pdf

Jeremy

2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

I don't have the AI gauges, the regular Swede go gauge can be used as the AI no-go gauge and Manson Reamers sent me the blue prints to make my own AI go gauge since their lead time is 3 months at this time. 6.5x55 Swedish AI std.pdf

Jeremy

Wow

That method is ill advised if safety and case longentivity is an issue. The amount of crush from saami to ai varies from one caliber to another.  Could be  .002 could be  .012

inthe10ring

You have brought up a valid point. So in the interest of building my rifle to shoot safely and keep myself and others around me safe.  I have a homework assignment. With that being said I have done some preliminary research on the subject of this cartridge and to be completely honest with myself and everyone here. The idea of chambering my barrel to an AI is quickly losing its luster and isn't going to be fun anymore. Now I'm starting to get mad. Not at anyone here just with the idea that a simple mistake from a vendor that I bought my reamer from and I'll own my part in it too has turned into a 3 ring circus. That my friends is what pisses me off. 

So I'll start with the parent cartridge. Stay tuned for the results of my research.

Jeremy

Thank you for the offer and I'll take you up on it. I'll pm you my address later on.