Military Firearm Restoration Corner

ODE to DICK MAYNE

dave h

Back in the 1970's there was a cheap & Nasty brand of .22lr Ammo on the market called Stirling (Now still cheap & just as nasty but called Highlander or PMX !.... I know I buy it for the kids ) Now you had more chance of giving away a dose of lepersy than giving away a box of Stirling ammo ! So it was found out the biggest Buyers of this crap were Rabbit Processors (cause they got it dirt cheap ) So the Importers went on the prowl for a Rabbit shooter who would pose with the night's takings ! They came apon one DICK MAYNE who shot on a good Patch & got him blind drunk & payed hm a couple of cartons of Beer to pose by his Landrover Loaded with Rabbits ! Now the add read to the effect of ........Dick Mayne ....Pro Rabbit shooter ...with 666 rabbits all shot through the head with clean ecinomical ....Stirling ammo ! Now whether it was the number that went against him or somebody in the taxation dept read shooting mags we do'nt know for sure but it turned out that Dick had'nt done a tax return for 7 yrs ! He was Taxed on a average of 333pair of rabbits pernight 6 nights a week for 7 yrs & was sent Bankrupt !

Hence most Pros never allowed themselves to be photographed near their Vehicle ,when it was loaded (Not that any of us had anything to fear from the Tax dept you understand????)

Yep,

Notoriety can get you in trouble.

That is why I believe in the old SSS.

Shoot, shovel, shutup.

Kept me out of trouble for 62 years.

fritz

Yep,

Notoriety can get you in trouble.

That is why I believe in the old SSS.

Shoot, shovel, shutup.

Kept me out of trouble for 62 years.

fritz

Amen to that Brother Amen ! Theres a Old saying How do you get 35 shooter's out of your house via windows & the back door ? ...... Tell em the Tax man is comming to the front door!

Dave