Military Firearm Restoration Corner

CHANGE CALIBER

SOUTHPAW

The only problem I could for see is that the 7x57 is .471 at the base of the case & the .280 is .470 at the base of the case ! But then again is .1 thou splitting hairs ? But then again why not just stick with the 7x57? It's a fine round ,that is saddly over looked by many shooters these days .

Dave

Any advantage offered by the .280Rem. over the tried and true 7x57 would certainly be lost on a 19" barrel. These barrels make nice carbine or youth/women rifles, both of which are also more suited to the original cambering. They're both great calibers. I have absolute faith in my 7x64Breneke (the much older twin of and I suspect inspiration for the .280) having driven a 175 grain bullet througha wildebeest almost from end to end last April. If you really want a .280, by all means don't try to save money on the barrel. I think you'll be disappointed later.

I'm not certain all the advantage would be lost in that short barrel but one thing I am sure of is that the increase in muzzle blast over the 7x57 will certainly be noticable.

IMNSHO, this conversion is not worth the expense. Were the barrel 24" then the .280 wins the ballistics challenge hands down.

Only reason I can see for rechambering is if you plan on using lighter, hence shorter bullets. You could eliminate the long throat in these stubby barrels.

I agree with MB and Z. The stock 7 x 57 loaded to potential will breathe fire out of this short barrel - this is from experience having built two of them. I don't think you'll get any more velocity out of a 280. But if a 280 is what you want...you can make it work.

In that case what do you have to loose? It's hard to argue with wanting another cartidge in the stable. Let us know how you proceed.

-z