Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Argentine 1891 Loewe - .308?

todd987

I picked up a 1891 Argentine at a local gun show for $55 - think it’s a deal since it came with a Redfield peep sight. It had already been sporterized so I thought it would make a good project.

IPB Image

I purchased a .308 barrel from Sarco that’s made for this action. After reading some of the posts about the small ring actions I’m having second thoughts. I couldn’t find any discussions specifically about the 1891 so thought should ask before I go any farther.

Thanks Todd

The 1891 Argentine action is a wonderfully complex, beautifully machined piece of history. It is suited to the original 7.65 x 53 cartridge and very little else. Even the Model 93 Mauser had important improvements in strength and safety. It is certainly not well-suited to a .308, and, if you fitted the barrel, you would likely not be able to make the magazine feed.

I think I would start with a different action for your first sporter.

Clemson

If you're planning on buying ammo, keep looking for a 7.65 x 53 barrel. It shouldn't be too hard. You can find a Turk action for your 308 barrel. All of a sudden you have two projects (if you don't stop it now you'll have a dozen soon)!

If you're going to reload and never part with the rifle, and specify in your will that it be buried with you, I'd go ahead with the 308 but keep the reloads under 45,000 psi.

P.S. I'll trade you my nicest Turk for your action - you can even keep the sight! Its a beauty. You did well.

I can't say it enough, never shoot a 91 without safety glasses. I had one blow back into my face, if I hadn't had glasses on I would likely be blind in one eye. The 91 doesn't have the port for escaping gas or blow-by like the 98 action. Launching a modern high pressure number like the 308 in an antique action is way to risky in my mind. I don't mean to come off as a nit-picking fogie but I'm really trying to relay a sincere warning. I wouldn't be comfortable shooting a 91 with 765 factory ammo. There is a possibility the ammo was made for the later 1909 action and loaded at pressures higher than the 91 can safely handle.

"I picked up a 1891 Argentine at a local gun show for $55 - think it’s a deal since it came with a Redfield peep sight."

You're right it was a good deal and a nice looking example at that. However to chamber it in .308Win. would be about as safe as converting a Trapdoor Springfield to .458Win. ... well maybe not THAT bad, but absolutely a bad idea. Saving the barrel for another project or else selling it and getting something apropriate for this one would be my suggestion as well.

Guys - thanks for the good info! Last thing I want to do is leave a gun to a future generation that's unsafe.

Funny thing is that my wife has offered to bury me with my guns....

I have only worked on Turks up to this point and to be honest this one was an impulse buy at the gun show.

I can use the barrel on one of my other Turks - looks like I'll just need to get the shank cut back to fit.

Any suggestions for a good caliber for this action?

I just ran a 6.5x55 and 7x57 shell through the mag and they looked like they may feed well.

Hi todd987, cartridges that fall in the specs of the Argy are 6.5x55 (my choice), .250 Savage (250-3000), 300 Savage and 8mm mauser as well as the original 7.65x53, and all use the about same case head size. The SAMMI specs for the 7mm mauser is listed as 54,000 psi in the data I've seen. A little high for the argy but i'm sure people have done it. The '91 Argy is a beautifully crafted firearm that deserves a place in your collection. I would install a swede barrel from Kebcoll. They are new surplus model 38 swede barrels in the white. I think they are $70.00. Link below.

http://www.kebcollc.com/dept.asp?did=0

Spiris

Another good choice might be the 257 Roberts. The down side though of the Roberts is alot of the factory ammo sitting on shelves now days is rated +P. I'm not certain if the +P version, introduced after Remington chambered it again in their moder Classic series is within the limits of the Argy. In the 50 and 60's 257 Roberts and 300 Savage were the most popular conversion for pre-98 actions.

I better elaborate on my mis-hap with the 91. I was fire-forming trimmed and sized 30/06 brass. The gas blew by the shoulder before the brass expanded against the chamber wall. The hot burning gas blew right back into my face. I only have one 91 left (Peru variation)and haven't shot it in years.

In the 60's an Arizona surplus store used to import 91 Argys, many in virginal condition and sold them with a box of soft tip ammo and a small bag of clover to plant during the deer hunt for 20-$30. Argy Bayonets if I recall correctly were $3.00 with crest and either a buck or less if the crest was ground. I've been told but can't say with any first hand knowledge the Az importer sold them for even less mail order.

Sorry I forgot to log on in previous post. Here are pics of my 91. Even though it has a Peru crest it is stamped Mauser Modelo Argentino. The only difference I'm aware of, is the Peru version uses the earlier Gew 98 type rear sight and a shorter handguard. The sling is not original.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

250 Savage gets my vote.

The 257 Roberts is a good round, but the common availability of +P ammo would make me VERY leary of using a 91 action. If someone didn't know and used it, it could spell disaster. The 250 Savage is a good deer cartrige and there really isn't any need for more on that action.

Jimro

Why not just sell/trade the action and get something better? Don't feel like you have to use this action for a project - you're not limited in what you can/can't do you know.

Before you get too far into a 107 year old action that's probably worth just as much as the peep sight that came with it, develope a clear vision of what you'd like your rifle to be once complete. Then decide if this action will best serve that purpose.

Now, my two questions:

1. Are you a handloader?

2. Will this action feed 30-30s?

If you handload, you could always load your ammo light. Or, since this action has a single stack magazine, I'm thinking it would make a dandy low pressure deer rifle if you could get it to feed 30-30's. You'd need boltface work, but that's easy enough to hire done.

Jason