Military Firearm Restoration Corner

AR15/Ghost ring sights on a mauser

Jimro

Howdy,

Well the project is a 416 Taylor for a friend, he wants a black synthetic stock and either M16A2 style sights or Mossberg 590 "Ghost ring" style sights. He really wants a distinct rifle....and this will be one.

I told him that M16 style sights would be tough, but that ghost ring would be easy enough. I know some folks put the ghost ring on the rear bridge, some put it on the bolt sleeve.

I know ghost ring sights have been gaining popularity amongst pro hunters in Africa, so I might not have to make my own, somebody must be making them...

Any info/input is greatly appreciated.

Jimro

You can make one like I did or just buy a nice one from XS sights. Theirs require removal of or at least altering the charger hump.

I've seen M-16 sights that mount on weaver bases. Very nice, very expensive.

Why not drill and tap for a two piece Weaver rear base, and make a removable rear sight from an old "junk" aluminum ring?

You could mill or file the top of the lower ring flat, drill and tap two screw holes in it, and attach a bent piece of sheet metal (90 degrees) to the top of the mess. The folded piece would have a nice, large hole drilled on the vertical portion, and two slots would be on the horizontal portion for screwing to the lower ring.

I'd ensure that the screw slots on the folded piece had enough side-to-side play for windage adjustment.

Whew! Just spent pretty much the whole day screwing together the prototype of the cocking-piece sight referenced above. Took so long due to it being an "engineer as you go" project even though I worked out the basic idea on paper first. The finished product isn't complicated at all and well within the abilities of anyone with access to a lathe - and yes, since its been a recent discussion, even a mini-lathe. Still need to re-do my lock nuts but it looks like a success otherwise. Time's short right now but I'll get the drawings and instructions posted in a day or so.

I just check the XS sights prices, I think making one would be a bit smarter, any instructions?

Jimro

It's actually pretty simple. I contoured a base that fit on the rear bridge without the need for hump removal. I cheated and used parts from an XS sight so I could have both windage & elevation. The easier way would be just windage. Just cut a dovetail in the top of the base and then make a slide that fits in the dovetail with your ghost ring on top of it. Then you just need a set screw to lock down the slide.

I'll post some wip pics later.

Aren't there some picatinny rail sites available for the AR-15 market? I was contemplating something like this for a future M-N project. I have seen AR sites mounted at a 45, away from the sighting system. There must be a few choices that will fit a weaver rail, at least for the rear sight.