Military Firearm Restoration Corner

D&T Mauser for two piece bases

911rat

When D&T a Mauser for two piece bases, like Leupold or Burris. How do I use the Wheeler jig? Can I drill one of the holes for the rear base with the Wheeler jig and D&T the second using the rear base as an index?

I know it was posted somewhere but I can't find it.

IPB Image

I just did up a Turkish action with Leupold two piece bases and the Wheeler jig.

Basicially, and without the barrel on the action, I simply locked the jig down on the receiver where I was sure I wanted it and drilled away. You have to move the drill bit bushing from hole to hole as need be, but I didn't really encounter any difficulty using this setup. Also, I used and highly recommend a drill press for all jig drilling needs. Some guys are good enough to use a hand drill, but no one really recommends this and a drill press is a sure way to get a good straight hole.

My advise for you is to read the instructions a couple times and then assmeble the jig on whatever action you plan to use and more or less play with it a little before you use it. Do this so you'll become familar with how the jig works be comfortable with using it. It's actually pretty fool proof once you get the hang of it.

As a small word of advise...you need to dremel, file, or cut away the front standoff bushing that seperates the top plate from the mandrel in order to clear the left receiver wall on many Turkish receivers. Otherwise, your jig will end up cocked at an angle and you'll have holes drilled way far out of alignment. You *can* also modify the jig for use with a barreled action, but that's a topic for another day.

Let us know if you need anything else. Good luck!

Jason

Ooohhhh.... My bad; I wasn't on the same page.

Yes, the hole spacing on a standard M98 Leupold is non-standard.

And yes, if you knew how to manipulate the jig, you very well can move things around to drill for non-standard spacing.

"Can I drill one of the holes for the rear base with the Wheeler jig and D&T the second using the rear base as an index?"

Sounds like a plan. However, me being me and with my propensity to over complicate things, I think I'd mark where the center axis of the holes' alignment was to use as a visual aid to keep the rear mount centered to drill that fourth hole. Then, I'd mark where I wanted the hole and align the jig over it. Make sense? I think you've got it figured out... And I suppose if you own a mill, all this is even easier?

And yes sir, those are FN mounts. The hole spacing is standard, but I had to remove the charger bridge. I also had to remove the centering pin from in front of the front stand-off bushing in the jig to allow the jig to move forward far enough put the mount where I wanted it. You milage may vary.

Jason