Military Firearm Restoration Corner

22-6mm rem

680guy

Hello all, I've been visiting your forum for some time and consider it the best resource I've found on sporterizing mauser rifles. A while back I purchased a barrel / stock package from Midway in a 220 swift. I'm planning on starting soon but I've been hearing of feeding problems with the swift in the mauser 98 action. One option I'm considering is having the barrel chambered to a 22-6mm rem. The parent case, I believe. is the 257 Roberts/7mm mauser and should be much easier to feed reliably. I've found a little handloading info on it, some list velocities near 4400 fps. but I would think at that speed a barrel wouldn,t last long. My intentions would be to load at 3700-3800. Does this sound possible or am I missing something?I don't have a lathe, and handreaming from the short chambered 220 would not be precise or possible,(I think). Any info on gunsmiths who have done this would be appreciated.

It's only an issue if you have a need to fill the magazine. As a varmit rifle, a 220 Swift works well in single-shot mode. You could even have a single "chaser" in the magazine for a quick follow-up shot. I don't feel that the 220 is a waste in a 98 if the application is correct.

Many 98s served well on 30-30-based cartridges (Donaldson Wasp, Improved Zipper); I doubt that their owners ever worried about magazine feeding issues.

This is my thrid attempt to reply. My flippin mouse has gone crazy.

Welcome.

Most mauser varmint rifles were single shots. A fact not always communicated to the masses. Heck, most of the modern repeaters are used as singe shots. That's why benchrest followers are so popular.

That said, your idea is well thought out and quite doable. You end up with a round not unlike the 5.6x57 or whatever its called. taht should help with regard to loadig data.

Good luck.

It's only an issue if you have a need to fill the magazine. As a varmit rifle, a 220 Swift works well in single-shot mode. You could even have a single "chaser" in the magazine for a quick follow-up shot. I don't feel that the 220 is a waste in a 98 if the application is correct.

Many 98s served well on 30-30-based cartridges (Donaldson Wasp, Improved Zipper); I doubt that their owners ever worried about magazine feeding issues.

My primary intention for this rifle is for coyote hunting.Here in Wisconsin, that usually happens in the dead of winter with gloved hands and at temps at or below 0. (except this year).A reliable followup shot from the magazine is my concern. Don't get me wrong, I believe the 220, 22-250, or 223 and other calibers would all do the job well. My idea was to find a way to eliminate feedind problems in field conditions. I would be happy if it can be done with a 220 swift but from what I've read here and other sources and talking to someone who had 220 swift in a mauser feeding is often an issue.

I think most of the issues were trying to load 4 to 5 cartridges in the magazine, and trying to ride in a vehicle with a loaded magazine.

Unless I'm missing something from previous posts, one in the chamber, and one in the magazine should be OK. It's cartridges beneath the topmost magazine cartridge slipping forward that's the issue.

For the cost of re-chambering, you might look at the cost of an A&B barrel in 22-250. I'd set the 220 barrel off to the side for a varmiter setup.

Midway has the following barrels listed at $67 and $62, pre-threaded and chambered:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=574822

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=258553

Well, if practicallity and cost are thrown into the equation then just buy a Stevens 200 in .223. I have one it, cost less than $250 brand spankin new and wil shoot sub moa all day. No feeding issues, muy cheap ammo, my coyote gun.

The .22-250 would certainly be cheaper in the long run than the 22-6mm. I hate when practicallity enters the picture, lol. Then again, how many have a 5.6x57 (22-6mm)? I'm not implying that the cartridges are the same, just very similar.

If only Midway had .22 blanks with a fast twist instead of their 1 in 14". I have a 219 zipper reamer and want to build a fast twist, heavy bullet, rifle. Just an experiment so I don't want to invest much in it. I think it would be a fun cartridge for the SR mauser.

I think I found what I'm looking for. 4-d chamber rentals list a 224 TTH (Texas Trophy Hunter),the case dimensions are almost a match to the 6mm rem except for the shoulder being 0.0018 wider. I would think this case could be made to feed in the vz-24 action I have without to much trouble. I know some may think it's foolish to mess with a wildcat but for me it will be my first . A friend has a Mexican mauser rebarreled in a 22-250 and has struggled with feeding problems with it. I have to get started on the action and talk to a gunsmith so I may change my mind and leave it as a 220 swift but that's all part of the fun. I know I could go to walmart get a savage 110 and be sighting it in this afternoon for less money.If the finished rifle is as accurate the savage I'll be satisfied.For me it's a hobby not an investment and really not that expensive .Hell, many of my friends and co-workers will lose more on the superbowl tonight than I'll have in this rifle.Thank you all for your input and any additional comments. Guy

Guest Guest_roscoedoh_*

The only real gripe people have with the 5.6x57 is that it's hard to get a case this big to burn all the powder behind a bullet that small. That is, the guys who built 5.6x57's, 22-6mm, 22-257 Roberts', et al, all reached their best performance at max or near max loads. And nobody I've read about kept their 5.6's long enough to wear out the barrels...they all got rid of them before they reached that point. The 250 Savage and the Swift case seem to be the practical limit for the 22 caliber; so it seems...

And I've read enough on this topic to convince me to look at something else if I ever need a centerfire 22. But that's just me.

Why don't you try the Swift barrel and see how it works first, and then make a decision about rechambering if it isn't what you want. As z1r stated, the 1-14 twist limits you to 60 gr. bullets and under as a rule. With the 224 TTH you might be able to stabilize a 68 gr at the higher velocities. Just a guess. It should feed reliably.

If I was hunting coyotes I would want a 6mm Rem or a 243 Win. Those dogs get mighty big up there.

Spiris