Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Who are we?

usmc0332

I am Keith, a stubborn 36 year old Finlander from central Minnesota. I work as a union sprinkler fitter foreman all over the state of Minnesota. I grew up on a farm, mostly hogs, about 80 miles north of Minneapolis. I have spent a considerable part of my life up in Northern Mn, north of Duluth, where most of my relatives live. I was a Heavy Machinegunner for 4 years in the Marine Corps. I was stationed in So. Cal, when I wasn't on ship on the other side of the planet. I lived for 4 years in Phoenix/Scottsdale after getting out. I couldn't make a decent living there so I moved home in '95. I loved AZ. My Father is a retired shop teacher, so I guess I did learn a few things from him inspite of being a rather belligerent teen. We are quite close now, and I do all of my shooting at his house 4 miles away. I am pretty handy with metal, woodworking, and mechanical things. I figured I probably will never get to see any of you in person, and I enjoy spending time on these boards and learning from you all.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard.

I'm James, a stubborn Norwegian/Scot mix, from Washington, 4 years active Army, mostly in Texas, 4 years reserve in WA, getting my OCS packet together as I type. My dad is a machinist, which makes sporterizing possible for me. Dad and I saw a distinct improvement in our relationship after I spent a couple years in the Army, don't know if I grew up or he mellowed out (both are distinct possibilities).

Jimro

I'm Dave AKA Doc, a 1/2 Norwegian 1/2 Mongrel and a chiropractor from The middle of Minnesota (half way between Duluth and Fargo).

I have 2 boys and another on the way.

I love old guns and old cars. I have a 64 Impala SS conv that I've been working on off and on for a while now.

I like to make useful stuff out of old junk.

well, i'm Heath, and i am a English/Scot/German Mutt of a graphic designer. i work for a weekly alternative newpaper with an office full of liberal anti-gun/hunting democrates (there are a few sportsmen here... makes for interesting meetings!) in spokane, Washington (www,inlander.com). i was born and raised in Walla Walla, WA on 13 acres bordering a lot more... i've hunted and fished for what seems like forever, and hope i never have to stop. i got my degree from a focused community college, and have done a lot of different jobs in my search for a "real" job. i've laid flooring, sold flooring, worked for a fence company cutting pipe and packing fittings for crews, warehouse, forklift.... pretty much anything besides design! for the last 3+ years, however, i have been chained to the box...

i started building mausers in about '98. bought a couple at Big 5 because they were mausers like my Browning FN safari. i love metal working, woodworking/carving/cabinetry, hunting, fishing, cars & trucks (1972 chev 4wd, hence the member name, and a 1929 chevrolet coupe destined to be a streetrod) and several other hobbies my wife wishes i didnt have. Married for 2 years this coming june to a teacher, so that makes it interesting come election time. luckily she was born and raised in Montana with a sportsmans family (who escaped from Laos in the late 1970's), so for the most part, we see things eye to eye... HA HA. i love her, inspite of her liberal colleagues.

my mom is an administrator at walla walla community college and my dad owns a body shop that was started a month before i was born 28 years ago (come april). they're divorced, so i do double duty on the holidays, that's always loads of fun... my stepmom recently joined the Mormon church... not real sure why, but if it makes her happy, whatever.... half of my dad's family is Mormon and live in SLC, but they don't acknowledge us that aren't mormon. I learned (and still learn) about metalworking from my dad. his methods are a little old school, but so's most everything I do, too. Kinda like building a gun instead of buying one... but where's the fun in that?

so, that's pretty much me in a nutshell... a bloody great big nutshell!

I am Jason, the son of a journeyman electrical lineman and all around handy man. I am of stubborn, quick tempered stock that's primarily Scotch/Irish and German with a very healthy dose of who-knows-what Heinz 57 mix tossed in. I am told I even have Cherokee blood in me somewhere, but I don't have proof of that. I was born in East Texas and presently reside in Nacogdoches, 60 miles from where I was born. I was raised mostly in Panola and Nacogdoches counties. I grew up hunting the Sabine river bottoms and fishing Lakes Murvail, Cherokee, and Nacogdoches, as well as the Sabine and Angelina rivers. I recently graduated college and presently work as an inventory control/purchasing rep and I like my job. I am also an accomplished stained glass crafsman.

I have worked on Mausers for roughly four years and have learned a great deal via a couple mentors. Outside of my gunsmithing experience, I grew up with a firearm or fishing rod in hand and could shoot and catch fish before I could clearly form sentences. I like to think of myself as a generally handy guy and often work with my hands to give my brain a break. In terms of hobbies, I am also into photography and fly tying. I am also becoming more and more accomplished with mechanic work as my truck is reaching that stage where things begin to wear out. Further, I am still fairly active with my college's chapter of Phi Kappa Psi were I am a founding member and former chapter president.

I get bored easily and am always looking for the next challenge. In this regard, my reach often exceeds my grasp, but never for very long. And I don't know if my father has mellowed out or not. I'm too much like him to notice sometimes - especially when he and I lock horns...

im clayton faulkner if you couldint firgure that out... im 16 and in the 11th grade i live in tuscaloosa alabama im very hard headed and i like to do any thing mechanical. i can weld and im learnging how to use a mill and a lathe so that should help me with working on guns... besides guns and hunting im into anything fast and dangeriouos, fast cars, 4x4, motorcycles... and a few more things that r probly misteaks but besides that im ur average kid

p.s. i cant spell for ###### so get over it

I’m Dave and like many Americans, Im a hodge-podge of nationalities. All Scottish from my father’s side. French-Spanish and Austrian-German-British from my mothers side. Can’t really trace the family tree on my mother’s side due to many of the birth/death records that were destroyed in the Great Chicago Fire. I like to hide behind the anonymity of the net with my redneck alter ego. I live in Phoenix Arizona. I’m currently self-employed and consider myself semi-retired.

I enjoy tinkering with guns, shooting and hunting. I lost interest in the shooting sports for many years after being in business selling guns. There was a time when I went for several years without pulling a trigger, my guns suffered from neglect, several went for a walk with my former step-children, a few were destroyed in a fire, several were stolen by the fire restoration contractor and the x-wife and former business partner managed to relieve me of several more.

I’ve been rebuilding my collection the past several years but will never accumulate as much. As far as collecting I don’t have a speciality. I started collecting military in the early 70's when they were affordable. What ever goes bang and tickles my fancy these days. My latest acquisition was a Rossi lever action rifle. Not that I’m really into collecting or tinkering with lever actions, simply because the price was right and it will make good horse-trading goods. I have a few sportorizing projects under way but have been delayed due to my need of hand surgery. The projects are slowly coming together. If I can’t enjoy myself and have to deal with hand and joint pain tinkering with them, the projects will continue to go slow.

I’m an avid reloader and often use it as my escape from stress and the need to relax. I’ve exaggerated with the x-wife and woman I currently live with off and on. I’ve told them I need total concentration or I could make a mistake with hazardous results. When I’m at the reloading bench I’m left to myself, phone calls screened and I’m not bothered.

I am Dwayne, of Louisiana French decent. The other group is Cajun. I am a LSU graduate in Industrial Engineering and registered in both Industrial and Mechanical engineering. I have lived in Texas, Kansas, and California but some how always returned to Louisiana. Its the gumbo and crawfish. At this time I am at Mosul, Iraq as a civilian contract engineer to the Department of Defense. I have been in Iraq since April 2004. I have seen it all and heard it all. Operation Iraqi Freedom has been quite an odyssey. I have over 2000 digital pictures. I am Dad and Mr. Mom to three sons. It is starting to get costly to arm three boys. One of the things I miss the most is my work shop. Most of the gun work I do is slow rust blueing and stock work. Half of my tools are home-made. I prefer to make stocks from the square blank and I think that no stock is complete until it is checkered. When I get back from Iraq I will expand my shop and rebuild an old Atlas lathe. My other interests are black & white photography and Texas Hold'em poker. I use poker to finance my gun and photo hobbies. If you want to know what life is like in Iraq, let me know. I try to log on to this site at least three times per week.

Well the Names Dave I'm the son of a Large property owner /Farmer/Pro shooter I never had the urge to Farm so started as a Rabbit shooter aged 14 (I was a off sider ) I then went onto Water Buff at 17 followed by 6yrs in the Army 3 in the infantry & 3 in the SASR1. Came out & back into Buff shooting ,I then took on Kangaroo shooting ,Fox & Camel ,or any other type of hunting that would pay my keep ! Although I've always called Quorn in the Flinders ranges of South Australia home .The job has taken me all over Australia ! I've 4 kids from my first marrage (I'm something of a embaressment to three of them,IE what's ya Dad do for a living ? Kills animals.......) I've got new wife (who I'm damned f I know how she puts up with me? ) & Three step kids who just love being in the scrub ! I'm in the process of changing jobs after all these years due to health problems (The vet reckons the Old body is wearing out ) But I still enjoy hunting, Reloading (ok I tolarate reloading ) & have found a new lease of life through teaching the kids bushcraft & how to shoot ect

Dave

This is kinda fun! Clayton, I had you pegged as an old crusty guy for some reason. (not that there's anything wrong with that!) The old site had a bio section under profiles and some guys had some personal stuff there, but it seems to have not caught on here.

Anyhow, I'm Mike. 42 years old, British mum, German grandmother on my Father's side, (the rest unknown) born and raised in Western Washington state. I've been married 10 years, father of three girls. Worked various odd jobs in my high school/college years, farm hand, sheet metal work, security guard, then joined the USMC in 1983. I was a KC-130 Hercules Loadmaster, made Seargeant, whetted my appetite for flying, so I got out and finished college. Got into Navy flight school, and been flying EA-6B Prowlers at NAS Whidbey Island WA ever since earning my wings. Homesteading in the PNW hasn't helped my career, so it's time to go. I'm "retiring" with 20 years on March 1st of this year and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up! (big job interview tomorrow morning in Seattle!) I'll probably end up with a boring management type job, not as "cool" as I'm used to, but it will pay the bills.

I love all outdoor sports, and tinker with rifles for much the same reasons that all of you do. Cheers!

I am Dale, a retired cop, son of a cop. As befitting a copper, I am of Irish/German decent. Probably the reason for my stubborness. I was born and raised in KA, but am looking to emigrate to greener pastures after my youngest turns 18. I am a single parent of 3 kids.

I have been collecting and shooting for the past 30 years. But, really took off with the sporterizing the past 2 years.

Besides being a pig (not really), I was danged near raised in a barn. I was born in N.E. South Dakota (I pity those who weren't born in SD). Every nationality in N.W. Europe and British Isles.

Moved to TX when I was 11, joined the USAF, then out, nursing school after dental lab school, then Army Reserve, now Army. Let's see, I've been a koolaid salesman, greeting cards, shoveled snow, led a blind Fuller Brush salesman around door to door, washed dishes and bused tables, finish carpenter, antique restorer (of sorts), dental lab tech, cook, nurse, gas station attendant, etc.

Have three beautiful girls, oldest is 13. Remarried, and happy as a lark. My family is wierd, my mom is a hypochondriac, and other than that I'm kind of boring!

I'm Brad (betcha could have guessed that). I live in the mountains east of Bakersfield, CA.

I am a retired cop. I am the grandson of a cop who was, well uh, well, er well, he was French (okay, I said it), but our family heritage is friendly easy going, non controversial Irish (Scotch Irish actually). We hardly ever drink whiskey and hardly ever get belligerent.

I live in the same area as Sailormilan and am retired from the same department. Although somewhat older than SM, I am considerably more handsome and charming. As a rookie I worked for his dad. Wonderful guy, but tough, yikes!

After being home for a while I decided that I wanted to be a college professor and be rid of all this dirty cop work. Acquired an array of degrees but then decided that college teaching was dirtier work than cop work and forgot that dumb idea. Stayed a cop.

Anyway, I've been building rifles since 1969. After leaving the wonderland of Vietnam in '68 I was assigned to a tiny radar site on the north coast of California (I asked for Boron to be near home, but they realized I was suffering from PTSD and sent me to the promised land instead), lived in Crescent City for three years and was taken in by a kindly old gunsmith who taught me his trade while I finished out my years in the USAF. I also discovered that it rains more in Crescent City than it does in Vietnam.

Pistolsmithed for a while, but decided I really only liked rifle work.

Now that I am retired (3 years) after 31 years, I sell antiques for a loss, do rifle building - also for a loss, and haul brush, just for the fun of it.

My other favorite hobby is collecting antique handcuffs (most were made by gun companies).

The rest of the time I go to gunshows and try to act normal.

Howdy, I'm Kenny from Alaska.

I'm a pipe fitter (sprinkler) and oil burner tech and part time hunting guide.

Life time shooterbut only got into Mausers about 2-3 years ago.

I am an electrical engineer, but I am hoping to do some modeling for Bowflex commercials.

picture of me being bitten by a hot handload

Hello. My name's Paul, and I'm a sporterizerhaulic. I haven't sporterized for 2 weeks (due to getting the house ready -paint, honey-do, yes dear - for sister-in-law's baby shower at our house...).

I was raised 1 mile from my (paternal) grandfather's farm (Uniontown, PA) and spent every waking hour out there until college (mechanical engineer).

Got married, 2 boys (4 & 7), work as a project engineer an hour and a half from home (still Uniontown), I use most of my non-working time spending time with my family. In addition to family and work I do some carpentry and landscaping on the side (though "the side" time has been getting steadily replaced by drive time back and forth from work, youth basketball and soccer and family time). I get a few minutes here and there to play with my toys (usually after the family's asleep), but I'm mostly collecting for the free time that I'm going to have eventually (please don't burst my bubble by telling me it ain't going to happen...). I've heard over and over to cherish the time you have with your kids, so that's what I'm doing (or trying, anyway). Fun with guns can wait, although I really want to get one for each kid finished by the time they're 12. At the rate I'm progressing, I may only be a few months late for the oldest...

The name is Steve. My surname is from English descent but lots of Irish blood here, too. We live in northwest North Carolina on part of what was my grandfather's farm. I've hunted all over these hills and hollers since I could carry a gun. Sadly, it's getting too crowded to do that anymore.

I'm a 45 year old 2nd generation electrical contractor. Never done anything else but we do like to invest in real estate from time to time. Married to a real "peach" of a lady, who I probably don't deserve, for going on 27 years, now. No kids. Thought I'd wait until the honeymoon was over! LOL!

I have a pretty decent "accumulation" of guns gathered up over the years. Nothing really fancy but I enjoy 'em all. Sometimes I just like to look at them and handle them! We have a private informal range set up here on the farm with a bench and target stand. We can shoot about 100 yards max. It's cool to have a place to shoot at home when I can grab a few minutes! Don't have time to work on guns very much, although I did build a 7X57 on a Polish action a couple of years ago. It turned out pretty well. I currently have a Mexican action waiting for a project.

We do most of our deer hunting in West Virginia where we have friends and a small piece of property. My real passion is quail hunting and dog training but with all the development around here, it's **** near impossible to find a place to hunt for birds that aren't there anyway. I do still have a Brittany who's getting old on me. She'll soon be 11. Don't think I'll get another one until I can get the business arranged to the point where I have enough time to train a pup.

That's me. This has been interesting reading about everyone.

Remember Eddie Albert of Green Acres?

I am him, a gentleman farmer. Guns and golf are my hobby, but cattle pay the bills.

Here is a photo of me and the lady I affectionably call mrs fritz--

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/fritz/8905432a.jpg

I am 62 years of age, but still feel like Dennis the Menace (and that has gotten me banned from at least one gun board). But I am really a quite gentle fellow (once you get to know me).

I guess it's the hard-headed German and French blood in me that gets me into trouble now and then. But I really detest fighting (I have even been called a liberal now and then).

Sometimes I fit in with the topics at hand, sometimes not. And in that aspect, I guess I can be labeled as a sorta Dr. Jeckel/Mr Hyde).

But as Willie and Waylon said in their hit song--"But I'll be back again and again and again"

fritz

"I'll fly a starship/across the universe divide/and if I reach the otherside

I'll be back again and again and again/"

That was Nelson, Jennings, Kristopherson, and Cash.

Not bad taste in music for a punk kid from East Texas :)

-----------------------------------------------

And not to be outdone... Here's a picture of me and the real Roscoe, my #1 Rat Terrior:

Roscoedoh

Edited by roscoedoh

Jason,

You are correct, Willie was supported in that album (The Highwayman) by those others.

My sign-off line is taken from my favorite part of that album (the song Running against the wind).

It says a lot about my life.

fritz

The details of my life are quite inconsequential.... very well, where do i begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

Really, I am 35 years old and live outside Athens, Georgia. I am a neophyte sporterizer who is originally from Tuscaloosa, AL (hence the screen name -- shout out to Clayton Faulkner!). I am a lawyer by trade but please don't hold it against me -- it just pays the bills.

BTW, the first paragraph is Dr. Evil's soliliquy from Austin Powers, if you didn't recognize it.

I'm a fifty year old ex automotive mechanic who enjoys sporterizing as well as a few other hobbies including simple crystal and tube radios. I tend to dive into each hobby with what my family describes as an obsession. I will stay at a project relentlessly until it is completed, all the while thinking of what I will do next. This does tend to bring about burn out after a time. Thus, the need to have several hobbies from which to bounce back and forth in. As of late I have not done much in the way of smithing, but will find my way back to it before too long. Numerous health issues have limited my ability to get out and shoot so I find my gun related pleasures mostly in building that next rifle. One thing I manage to do every day is come to the site here and read what everyone else is up to. swamp_thing