Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cutting aluminum tank

montea6b

(6/2/05 13:18)

Cutting aluminum tank

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently picked up an aluminum boat fuel tank at the local recycle center. I was planning on cutting it in half, using the sealed side as a boiling tank for rust blueing of longer parts, and making a damp cabinet out of the side with the plumbing fixtures.

I'm looking for any suggestions as to how to make a clean cut. I could use a cutting torch as I have a cheap oxy/acetelyne rig, but I'd have to rent tanks and set it up as I've never had it out of the box. Plus, this method would need more cleaning up of the edges and would be more difficult to keep straight.

I was thinking that maybe a large diameter abrasive type cut-off wheel mounted in a circular saw might work. The cut would probably be clean, and I could use a straight edge to guide it, but I'm not sure if the hardness of the alloy might be too much, or saw RPM too high.

Any thoughts on this???

(and yes, I know... make sure there are no fuel vapors before I proceed!)

z1r

(6/2/05 13:50)

Reply Re: Cutting aluminum tank

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll never get a clean edge with an OA torch. It'll just melt the AL. A plasma cutter may be better. But a simple cutoff wheel might be the easiest to procure.

Doble Troble

(6/2/05 14:39)

Re: Cutting aluminum tank

I got an abrasive wheel at Home Depot and installed it in my table saw. It worked pretty good for cutting steel before I got a bandsaw. Another option would be a reciprocating saw if you've got one.

Part of the fun of doing something is the figuring-out how.

I am Bubba (but learning)

montea6b

(6/2/05 15:48)

Boy I wish I had a plasma cutter sometimes! I used one quite a bit in a sheetmetal shop where I worked for a time. Very nice piece of gear. Any idea if equipment rental places carry them?

Win300

(6/2/05 16:55)

ezSupporter

The fastest although not as fun method would be to go visit your favorite machinist.

fritz

The Gentleman Farmer

(6/2/05 17:55)

One of the first lessons I learned in welding school was to NEVER cut into a barrel, tank, etc. that had held oils or gasoline.

I have seen too many people killed or maimed by doing this.

A saw is the best way to cut open a tank. Aluminum, being non-ferrous, should not give off a source of ignition from the sparks. But I'm not too sure about that either.

The problem lies in the fact that fuel gases remain in the pores of the metal, even after scrubbing and checking with a meter for fumes. The fumes are released from the heat of the torch.

It is just not worth it, even filling the tank with water before cutting is not a guarantee the fumes will not ignite.

Trust me on this one.

fritz

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.

Martha Washington

US wife of George Washington 1759 (1732 - 1802)

tanglewood16137

(6/2/05 18:47)

Monte

I am a aluminum fabricator so heres what you do get a cheap carbide tipped circular saw blade and install normal way like for wood cut it with it and have someone spray wd-40 on blade as you cut and it will be fairly smooth and will be as straight as you cut. Wear a long sleeved shirt shavings are a bit hot and have hearing protection its loud.

Rod

I have cut lots of tanks that way. Went to a metal supplier to get some pipe they couldn't cut it so i took a regular saw and cut it there they were so suprised didn't belive i could do it.

z1r

(6/2/05 19:40)

I think Rod has the best idea especially in light of Fritz's all too true warnings.

montea6b

(6/2/05 20:31)

Thanks for all the pointers. I think I may give it a try with the carbide tipped blade. If I don't post for a while and my next message is very short... it'll be because I'm typing with a pencil in my teeth.

tanglewood16137

(6/2/05 20:41)

Dude you will be suprised it cuts very easy just use lots of wd 40 spray every 10 seconds or so

Rod

mod70

(6/2/05 20:51)

ezSupporter

Rod

You said you have cut up lots of tanks. Were they gas tanks? Just wondered if friction heat could ignite gas fumes?

tanglewood16137

(6/2/05 20:53)

yes most were gass tanks a few were diesel but sawing is pretty inert just to be safe wash it good with some dawn. and leave it wet just cut it not a big deal.

Rod

montea6b

(6/2/05 22:28)

Reply Pre-burn?

Now at first this idea this might sound like idiocy, but bear with me and read the background first...

Growing up we burned a fair amount of wood for heat in the winter time. We had a few chimney fires early on, so my dad became pretty religious about cleaning out the chimney. It was a sheet metal stovepipe, and the way we cleaned it was to take the sections apart, prop them upright on bricks, wad up some newspaper in the bottom and light them off.

You know the "snakes" that you used to light off as kids on the 4th of July? That was the same basic result. The black tarry deposits would expand onto a light styrofoamlike soot which would almost clog the stovepipe. We'd scrape this out and repeat the procedure until there wasn't anything left.

That was the idea I hatched after reading Fritz's warning. If there is any residual fuel remaining in the metal that would vaporize under heat and subsequently ignite, perhaps it would be better to burn it out beforehand in a controlled manner. What better way to get rid of it? Thoughts?

P.S. Anybody here ever hear of the "Darwin Awards"? I hope I don't end up on their website!

MorgansBoss

(6/3/05 17:32)

Reply Re: Pre-burn?

THANK YOU FRITZ!!! Whew, I don't get by much anymore but when I pulled this post up I wondered if poor ole Monty was still with us. Please don't anybody ever put a flame to a fuel tank. No matter how many times you or someone else has gotten away with it. BTW - isn't aluminum a poor choice for hot bluing? The only tanks I've ever saw anyone use were black iron. Maybe it'd be OK for the degrease tank. Maybe I'm wrong.

Rustybore

(6/4/05 16:21)

Reply Re: Pre-burn?

I was going to ask the same question. The only hot blueing tanks I have seen were either stainless steel or black iron. Would there be a chemical reaction with the aluminum?

Kevin in Or.