Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tallet bases with rings

usmc0332

Has anyone used the Talley 2 piece bases that have rings built on them? They look like a cool set-up. I know the charger bridge has to be removed for using FN bases, but I like the look of these. riflescopes.com has them on special for $30.

I hven't used them but folks I respect have they and liked them. If weight savings is important and quick release not an issue then these are the setup.

I've used them, but will not again. They make BUIS impossible to use and force you to use only 1 inch scopes, which really isn't an issue unless you swap out scopes of different diameter a lot. But for the price a set of Weaver bases and rings give you quick detach capability and variable scope tube diameter.

But as far as the quality of the Talley rings/bases, they are top notch, I had no issues with the fit and finish and the folks at Talley were a joy to work with. If a buddy of mine wanted them on his rifle I would have no problem installing them, they are hella stout and do the job they are intended to do just fine.

I did make a mistake in mounting, I mounted the rear piece a wee bit too far back and had to remove some material so the bolt could cycle. An easy fix with a file and a few minutes.

Jimro

To echo what Jimro says, you can buy steel weaver type Warne bases and rings with QD levers for them and still have money left over for what you'll give for a set of Talley QD's. Talley makes a good product and supossedly stands behind it well, but from my standpoint, $90 for a set of QD rings is expensive.

Ask yourself this though, do those other less expensive rings & bases return to zero with the same repeatability as Talleys do?

Another thing in Talleys favor is their light weight. Steel weaver style mases are heavy as are most of the QR rings made for them. the Leupolds offer good repeatability but weigh a ton.

Check out these tasty rings:

IPB Image

I can't say if the others have the same repeatability of Talleys as I've never played with Talleys. However, I have taken the scope off my 30-06 and the big B-Square rail has shown some promising results in that I didn't have to readjust anything. B-Square is an aluminum weaver type mount. Dad uses Weaver mounts on his Remington and rarely has to readjust anything inspite of how often he plays musical scopes on that rifle.

I also can't comment on the Leupy's because I haven't got that rifle put together yet. Soon enough though...

*Any* replaced scope ought to be test-fired just in case - cheap insurance.

I have read good things about Talley's but never could justify the expense. One thing I'll give'em though is they are darn good looking product - head and shoulders better than the run of the mill Weaver anything!

If Remington does import those Zastava rifles and I can get dealer price on the Safari Magnums I want, I'd like to try Talley mounts just to see what "they" say is true. I will happily report the results.

I was looking at the ones with the integral rings on the 2 piece mounts. I am not prone to changing scopes, nor do I understand the need for QD sling swivels. I very seldom, if ever, remove a sling once I put one on. I guess I might be boring that way. I usually set up a military sling so it is tight on my elbow when shooting and leave it. I would understand a removable scope if I was going to fly with a rifle, just to keep the Samsonite Gorillas from wrecking my optics. I WISH that was my problem, lol. If I was to remove a scope with regular Weaver rail mounts, can these be reinstalled and remain close to POI? Z is that your rifle? What is it that needs 2 recoil bolts?

I was looking at the ones with the integral rings on the 2 piece mounts. I am not prone to changing scopes, nor do I understand the need for QD sling swivels. I very seldom, if ever, remove a sling once I put one on. I guess I might be boring that way. I usually set up a military sling so it is tight on my elbow when shooting and leave it. I would understand a removable scope if I was going to fly with a rifle, just to keep the Samsonite Gorillas from wrecking my optics. I WISH that was my problem, lol. If I was to remove a scope with regular Weaver rail mounts, can these be reinstalled and remain close to POI? Z is that your rifle? What is it that needs 2 recoil bolts?

keith,

I know, you were asking about these single ring/base combo. I like em. Haven't used but heard good things. I may have been looking in the wrong places but can't find em for the Mauser, otherwise I'd have tried them. I really like the intergral ring/base idea. Less moving parts.

Like you, I'm not big on moving scopes. I have some rifles that have the sme scope that I put on them twenty five years ago. I do have one I'm putting together that will have them but only because I want quick acces to iron sights should I need the, It will be wearing the same rings as shown in that pic. No, that's not my rifle. It's a 416 Rem Mag hence the two crossbolts. But the rings are the same as I'll be getting. If you think Tally QR are expensive you should price these.

That is exactly the system I was looking at. I am presently learning about scope mounts here on the University of Internet Shopping. I like the Leupold two piece turn in set up I used, but I just had to know more. Helps me make educated decisions.

Two piece bases are preferable in a hunting rifle (quicker to reload and lighter).

If I were going to go with steel bases I would choose these.

http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/04d

If I were going to go with aluminum bases I would choose Weaver #45 and 46 (I think those are the numbers, you can get them from sporterizing.com)

One piece bases are preferable in a target rifle.

I've used B-Square's weaver rail and Redfield standard one piece.

FMSniper has used Ken Farrell bases and hasn't complained about them, one guy at snipersparadise.com said it put his head too far above the stock to be comfortable, but depending on your body your mileage may vary.

If you are worried about strength, there are plenty of weaver style rings available. Leupold Mk4 rings are really Weaver rings that people put on picatinny mounts. B-Squares Sport Utility Rings are a great deal, as are Weaver brand rings (aluminum bottom with a steel top that hooks on one side and screws on the other).

And Blue loctite is your friend, use it when installing the bases.

Jimro

The only other thought I had on Talley's is that you can spot a scope that has been mounted in Talleys and removed a mile away.

They always seem to massacre the scope tube and leave their "parallel gouges" on the top of the tube.

Leupolds and Redfields and Burris' never have let me down. Sex appeal isn't real important when hunting and my stuff is in the safe when not hunting.