Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Beer bottle plinking

fritz

Yeah, it's the post Super Bowl blues I guess. That and this boring winter weather.

I decided I needed to get a little practice with the Garand, so I placed an old 8'X4' plywood box in front of my backstop, put an old fence board on top of it, and line up eight beer bottles (empty of course). One for each round in the clip.

Well, it only took two shots to knock 'em down. Four fell on each shot. So I line up six more on the board. One shot brought 'em all down (in fact it shot the board under them in half).

The power and accuracy of the Garand is awesome. Now for some more beer and a new board, I'll be back in business. BTW I do not drink and shoot, I shoot then drink.

Actually I get all the empties I need from the beer joint, it saves landfill space. When they are all shot to bits, the pieces fall into the box and then the box is lifted with my loader and dumped in my garbage pit. Hey, it's non-toxic!

But since I was hitting the board directly under each bottle, perhaps I need to adjust those sights a bit higher.

Oh, what an idle body can come up with!

fritz

Yeah, it's the post Super Bowl blues I guess. That and this boring winter weather.

I decided I needed to get a little practice with the Garand, so I placed an old 8'X4' plywood box in front of my backstop, put an old fence board on top of it, and line up eight beer bottles (empty of course). One for each round in the clip.

Well, it only took two shots to knock 'em down. Four fell on each shot. So I line up six more on the board. One shot brought 'em all down (in fact it shot the board under them in half).

The power and accuracy of the Garand is awesome. Now for some more beer and a new board, I'll be back in business. BTW I do not drink and shoot, I shoot then drink.

Actually I get all the empties I need from the beer joint, it saves landfill space. When they are all shot to bits, the pieces fall into the box and then the box is lifted with my loader and dumped in my garbage pit. Hey, it's non-toxic!

But since I was hitting the board directly under each bottle, perhaps I need to adjust those sights a bit higher.

Oh, what an idle body can come up with!

We used to do that & then they brought out a 5c on Bottles & cans ! The Kids,soon put a stop to that !

so I welded up some plates .That lean forward but fall over when hit & then as I'm too lazy to go set em up again (& the kids have refused ) I welded arms on them so I could tie a lenght of cord to them & reset them from where I'm shooting !

Dave

fritz

Even at 5 cents a bottle,my shooting wouldn't hurt my bank account much! Dang fritz,I haven't heard of you having so much fun with a gun since I've been on this board.My Dad carried a Garand in 40 below weather in the mountains of Korea and lived through the battle when the Chinese invaded over the border and the Chosin Resevoir,and he loved his Garand and has never had anything but praise for them.After Chosin Resevoir and a big part of his company were killed,he stepped up in rank pretty fast,and the next thing he knew,they were taking his Garand away from him and gave him a M1 carbine,and he felt undergunned,next time they took the carbine and issued him a .45 and a forward observer radio,so he was basically unarmed,but kept a battlefield picked up Garand hidden.He always said if you could see a gook,he was in range of a Garand.The only time I ever heard him say anything against another branch of the service was when he talked about the Chosin Resevoir and the Marines that were trapped there after the Chinese invasion.After the marines held back the millions of Chinese for days losing a big part of their men,and were finally surrounded,Dads company was sent to help them break out.They fought their way through the Chinese behind the Marines,went forward through them,and let the Marines pull out through their lines.After they were out and safe,the Army backed out but not before losing a terrible lot of men.They got back behind safe lines,and the filming crews were swarming the Marines,completely ignoring the Army.Those cameras and magazine writers pissed him off so much and still do.He always said an Army saying was something like,a rifle squad in the Army is made up of 6 rifles,the Marines have 5 and a camera man.If he thought I told this and harelipped any Marines,he'd beat the hell out of me,because he has nothing but respect for them.He always talks about how starved the trapped Marines were and how a Marine would come down the road carring someone when they looked worse wounded than the man he was carring,but he couldn't walk.We couldn't get Dad to talk about Korea for 50 years,and now he won't shut up.When we bought him his Garand,he started opening up.Yesterday he told how the Airforce was having hell doing them any good with their new little fighter jets because of the hills,a short burst and they were pulling up.Someone got the idea to bring in P51's and Corsairs,and he said they would come down a valley and clean it completely out of the enemy.Since then,P51's are his favorite planes.Sorry about being long winded,fritz's new gun got me started and Dad came down yesterday and told war stories.Thank God for all you Veterans and you guys still in.Your men I can never equal.Jerry