Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M93 and M95 bolts

fritz

There were some bolts for sale on eBay that had been flat bottom '93 and someone had ground the flat back to round.

Has anyone heard of doing this? And would it really fit the Chilean M95 which requires the round (and hard-to-find) bolt?

fritz

Fritz: Just tried the chilean 95 bolt in a 93 and it goes fine.... soooo I would say it "should" work. Of course it will not interchange the other direction, 93 [unmodified] bolt in a chilean. I will measure if ya need it , but can't do it till tomorrow , and I don't get online alot now since we have been w/o power since thursday... Lighting is limited currently, but I will check online sometime tomorrow... Geeeze and they think flooding is bad,,,, people should try no power and abt 0 deg. F for a few days!!! MV

Guest Guest_turkcrazy_*

There were some bolts for sale on eBay that had been flat bottom '93 and someone had ground the flat back to round.

Has anyone heard of doing this? And would it really fit the Chilean M95 which requires the round (and hard-to-find) bolt?

fritz

I did take a 93 bolt with the flat bottom and filed it round. It does go in to the receiver of a Chilean M95. But I don't think I would trust it. I did it to see if it would work.

Thanks,

That is my concern, would it be safe.

This particular Chilean M95 is one of the rifles they converted to 7.62 Nato (.308 Win).

The barrel is perfect, and I have modified a stock to fit it in (acraglas bedded and finished with a grey trunk paint coated with several coats of poly). Why I went to all the trouble to go this far with a rifle that I did not have the bolt for is just another example of "I had nothing better to do at the time".

I will continue to search for a true Chilean M95 bolt.

Here's a pic of the stock--

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/fritz/099.jpg

fritz

"A Swede bolt might work."

Nope, just tried it.

The heat treatment of a reground M93 bolt seems to be an alternative (unless these Chilean bolts start showing up again). On that possibility I am not holding my breath. There are some on eBay from time to time that are said to be for both the M93 and M95, but they are flat bottomed bolts.

fritz

Yeah, just tried the Swede myself. The Swede has the guide rib, so that would need to be ground off. You could always slot the rear bridge for the guide rib... you'd need a mill for that though.

If you could get a Swede bolt at a fair price and grind it off, you wouldn't need to heat treat the bolt. That would be a fair trade-off.

Yeah, just tried the Swede myself. The Swede has the guide rib, so that would need to be ground off. You could always slot the rear bridge for the guide rib... you'd need a mill for that though.

If you could get a Swede bolt at a fair price and grind it off, you wouldn't need to heat treat the bolt. That would be a fair trade-off.

Swedes are longer than 93s and 95s: 5.630" v. 5.550".

Well, if Sarco can do it, so can fritz.

Today I was (as Sarco always does) rummaging through my warehouse of guns and pieces of guns. I found this old Turk '93 that was one of the "gunsmith specials" or 4-fers, it had no stock but the bolt was a round bottom bolt. I figured it was worth a try to see if it would work in the Chilean 95, and it did! It even headspaced perfectly on the barreled receiver I had already finished.

Since I had quite a few flat bottom '93 bolts, I tried one in the Turk. It worked perfectly. Obviously some of the Turk '93s came with a round bolt, but a flat bolt works also.

All's well that ends well.

fritz

Here is the final result of all my searching for the right bolt (and a lot of other modifications that just came from my head)--

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/fritz/MVC-003S.jpg

It shoots 5 shots into an inch and a half at 100 yards, just as it should. It is, after all, a .308 Winchester chambering.

fritz