Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Near Mis-hap

TLynn

AzRednek

(6/3/05 23:09)

Reply Near Mis-hap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I’m a little off topic but this involves a Voere Rifle that is simply a commercial 98 Mauser. About a year ago after having trouble with the factory adjustable trigger and tang safety I took it into Timney and they installed and adjusted a new trigger with the side safety.

Today I can thank my lucky stars for safe gun handling. I released the safety and it shot without touching the trigger. Kind of a shock especially it being a heavy recoiling 308 Norma Mag loaded with a 200gr slug and a hot load. Fortunately I was following range rules and had it pointed down range while I loaded and cocked it. I came close to dropping it and wound up burning the web my hand slightly by grabbing the hot barrel after it recoiled out of my other hand. After my nerves settled I tried it on an empty chamber and it did it again. I checked the clearance between the trigger and trigger guard, it doesn’t appear to be the problem as I first suspected. I don’t feel qualified to attempt to fix it. I’m first bringing it to Timney and if they can’t fix it, it’s going to a good smith.

I learned a big lesson today and I certainly hope you guys building Mauser sporters keep what happened to me in mind. My trigger and safety was professionally installed, adjusted and it still failed. Timney makes a fine product, possibly the best after-market trigger one can get for a Mauser. Even a fine product and a professional installation can fail, please guys take my word for it, never depend on an after market safety and always keep it pointed in a safe direction.

z1r

(6/3/05 23:23)

Reply Re: Near Mis-hap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dislike the side safties but what you described can just as easily happen on any aftermarket trigger.

Glad you were following the rules and that all worked out well!

mod70

(6/4/05 8:39)

ezSupporter

Re: Near Mis-hap

Thanks for sharing AZ. We do tend to get a bit complacent when things always seem to work the way we expect them to and your experience is another excellent illustration and reminder that rules are typically in place for a good reason and that it only takes one aberrant incident to potentially cause an irreparable disaster.

Just curious as to whether you have tried closing the bolt on a round with the safety off to see if the FP falls upon bolt closure? Sounds as if the sear is not making enough contact?

AzRednek

(6/4/05 11:00)

Mod 70, haven't had a chance yet. I'll likely try it tonight and let you know.

OldgrandpainMI

(6/5/05 8:20)

AZ,

Thank you for relaying that incident to this site. After reading it, I showed my 15 year old daughter your post. The first thing she said to me after reading it was "SAFETY FIRST"!!! She has been shooting a bow for 8 years, but started shooting rifles/shotguns for only a couple years now! It fell in line with what I preach, each and every time I put a weapon in her hands:

#1- What comes out of the barrel of a weapon??? DEATH!!!

#2- Safety FIRST, fun second!!!

#3- Follow the rules, even if you don't agree with them!!!!

Your actions at the range were common sense rules, regardless of the range/posted rules, which may have saved someone (including yourself) from being injured or killed! In some ways, I wish an incident like that could be shown to young gun handlers, as it happens, as it could scare them enough to imprint safety to them for life!!!

OGPIM

Sporterized weapons are like children......

Half the fun in having them is making them!!!

Edited by: OldgrandpainMI at: 6/5/05 8:33

MorgansBoss

(6/5/05 9:24)

Reply safties...

I have been a firearms safety instructor for over ten years. One of the most important things we try to get through to our students is that safeties fail. The actual phrase is: a safety is a mechanical devise, and any mechanical devise can malfunction.

NEVER, EVER rely on a safety catch to prevent a gun from firing and ALWAYS keep a loaded firearm (or any firearm) pointed in a safe direction.

A firearm is simply a machine. It relies on interacting mechanical parts to do what it's supposed to. When those interactions do not work as intended, the gun will not do what it's supposed to either. There simply is no room for error. Firearms can accidental discharge but people are only shot through intent or negligence!

Your observance of safe handling rules (having the gun pointed in a safe direction) is admirable. Never forget this lesson!

AzRednek

(6/5/05 11:54)

Reply Re: safties...

Thx guys for the comments, had a nightmare about the dam thing last night.

Mod70 I tried jamming the bolt home as hard as possible several times and the striker stays put.

I noticed this morning the bolt was very difficult to lift and couldn't get it up without pulling the trigger. The striker stays put untill I engage the safety, once I move the safety into the "safe" position the striker moves forward slightly making a loud click. I apparently coudn't't hear it at the range with ear muffs on. I also was wearing silicone plugs underneath, an adjacent shooter was shooting a 50 BMG with a muzzle brake. When I move the safety to the fire position the striker moves all the way forward. I'm supposed to go out of town sometime this week. I'm going to try and make time to bring it to Timney's factory. Hopefully that fixes it but one thing for dam sure I'll never trust it or any safety again.

fritz

The Gentleman Farmer

(6/5/05 22:06)

There was an article in our local paper today about an incident that happened the other day in Victoria. A 9mm slug ended up in the bedroom of a 2 year old. It had passed through from another room where it shattered a glass candle, dropping shards in the cradle of a 2 week old child.

It came through the wall from a neighbor's house (upon investigation by the law), and was traced to a closet in the neighbor's house. The closet just happened to have 3 more bullet holes in the roof, and a 9mm pistol was found under a sofa. The neighbor was arrested on reckless behavior charges.

Accident? I doubt it, he was probably drunk.

fritz

"Against the wind, we were running against the wind. We were young and strong and running against the wind."

claytonfaulkner

(6/6/05 2:39)

this guy i know had just got a new gun and was showin it to some ppl and one guy waslookin at it and put a round in the chamber and then the first guy didnt know and took it and said "look it a double action too" and shot a hole in the floor. the whole incident happend out of pure stupidity