Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Trigger Guard Screws

bapayton

Guest Guest_Turkcrazy_*

$20 for such a small tap? That's crazy! Wonder if there's a metric equivalent we could find for cheaper or simply another source?

No Metric equivalent, Not even in the MSC Big Book in the special thread section. I order most all the taps for our shop and I have looked in every catalog that I have, there are non in any of them. I think you are stuck with Brownells.

Bapayton,let me check at work today and see if I have a 1/4-22 tap.I have a drawer in my toolbox full of taps I've needed over the years and probably have one I can mail you.I'll let you know one way or the other tonight.Jerry

A regular 1/4" bolt will thread right in to mine, so I would think that any hardware store would have them for cheap.

If a regular 1/4x20 bolt will screw right into yours it is because yours has been altered or is stripped. There is a reason these taps are expensive, because they have only one application.

You could always make one if you have a lathe.

I look at it this way, that tap will last you forever.

If a regular 1/4x20 bolt will screw right into yours it is because yours has been altered or is stripped. There is a reason these taps are expensive, because they have only one application.

You could always make one if you have a lathe.

I look at it this way, that tap will last you forever.

I never tried to make a tap, It's worth a try though. I only need one to chase out some threads on a receiver whose barrel was removed by action wrench that had too short off a clearance groove cut for the recoil lug and crushed the end of the treads.

-Don

I never tried to make a tap, It's worth a try though. I only need one to chase out some threads on a receiver whose barrel was removed by action wrench that had too short off a clearance groove cut for the recoil lug and crushed the end of the treads.

-Don

I never have made a tap before either. I guess you would have to harden the tap after cutting the threads, and make sure you don't make it to brittle. You think dipping it in kasinite would be enough to do the job?

If it was me, I guess I would buy the tap and call it a tax deduction on the shop.

Good luck on making the tap and let me know how it turned out.

Brian

I never have made a tap before either. I guess you would have to harden the tap after cutting the threads, and make sure you don't make it to brittle. You think dipping it in kasinite would be enough to do the job?

If it was me, I guess I would buy the tap and call it a tax deduction on the shop.

Good luck on making the tap and let me know how it turned out.

Brian

The experience and knowing what you can do and what you can't far out way the price of a store bought product. Besides one day I might actually have a use for this knowledge, when a tool isn't available.

-Don

"make sure you don't make it to brittle."

Brittle in a tap can be a good thing. Should you ever break a tap off while threading a hole then brittle can be your friend. You can shatter the tap and remove the fragments. If the tap won't shatter it can be a to get out.

Vlad

I've had good success with tap extractors, but you're right a punch on a brittle tap is much easier.

-Don

Horsefly- Thanks a lot for the offer, which I will take you up on if you have it. I only need it for a couple of holes and could return it asap. I have an uncle who works for American Airlines in their fabrication shop so he might be able to get me one somehow, maybe even "free". That same uncle has a nice lathe and milling machine so I could try to make a tap. Anyone know some references to machining a tap? I think the hardest part would be heat treating but could be wrong.

The experience and knowing what you can do and what you can't far out way the price of a store bought product. Besides one day I might actually have a use for this knowledge, when a tool isn't available.

-Don

I've had good success with tap extractors, but you're right a punch on a brittle tap is much easier.

-Don

Sorry bapayton,I couldn't find the tap.I looked everywhere with no luck.It just doesn't seem that long ago when I saw it.I had it in a clear tube and wrote on it 1/4-22 so that it'd be easy to find.Reckon it didn't work.I ordered it from a bolt and screw company,and think I only saved on the shipping from what Brownells was charging.My Dad retired from American.He worked in the automotive and non-automotive dept. and it was unbelievable what he had access too.Jerry

Guest Guest_Turkcrazy_*

Bapayton, the taps that brownells sells are made by Reiff & Nestor (www.rntap.com) I am sure that if there was a large enough order they would do a run for you. But, you are still looking at a large amount of cash. I buy them from brownells, I chase the threads in all my actions. You should see what comes of the threads even after you clean them.

Guest Guest_Turkcrazy_*

Bapayton, the taps that brownells sells are made by Reiff & Nestor (www.rntap.com) I am sure that if there was a large enough order they would do a run for you. But, you are still looking at a large amount of cash. I buy them from brownells, I chase the threads in all my actions. You should see what comes of the threads even after you clean them.

bapayton,

If you are just chasing the threads, you might be be able to make a chaser out of an old action screw with good threads. I read once where you can cut the flutes with a dremel stone, and then harden the screw by quenching in water or by using Kasenit.

You know I was thinking about that myself (cutting flutes in a screw). I could grind it to fit in a regular tap handle to make it look somewhat professional. Was just reading up on Kasenit. I'd never heard of it before but seems like interesting stuff. There are a couple of other things I'll need to re-harden too so a can of that might be just the ticket.

bapayton,

If you are just chasing the threads, you might be be able to make a chaser out of an old action screw with good threads. I read once where you can cut the flutes with a dremel stone, and then harden the screw by quenching in water or by using Kasenit.

There are a couple problems with the screw idea. A screw or bolt is cut undesize so that it will ride on the thread sides when tight, not bottom out on the the crests. It is also cut so that the crests of the hole it is screwed into will not bottom out on the screw or bolt.

A tap on the other hand cuts a larger hole than the expected screw. 75% is the standard engagement, however there are several classes of fits that are tighter.

All in all, the screw will most likely work. Just be aware that it is not accomplishing the same thing a tap world. The achieved fit may well be either tight or too tight. LL