Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What's your favorite...

roscoedoh

...TV show?

I find that nowadays, if/when I do turn on the TV, I'm watching CSI, Law and Order, or Modern Marvels. Unless there's some movie on or African Hunter Television is on the Men's Channel.

What show do you want the most?

Not to be extremely picky MorgansBoss, but it was Bruce Springsteen and 57 channels. I remember seeing him perform the song on SNL. I thought it was a lame song, though the sentiment is spot on!

As for me, if you had asked me last year what my favorite TV show was, I would have told you it was "Six Feet Under", on HBO. This year, since "Six Feet Under" ended, I am going with "The L Word"...yes, a show about a group of mostly lesbians in Los Angeles. It's a woman thing, we don't find lesbians as "threatening" as some guys seem to find gay men. It's almost embarrassing that this show is soap opera-y in some ways, so I find myself totally sucked into the premise. Anyway, that's about the only show I will watch with a great deal of deliberation. As for the History Channel, TLC, et al., I think I have seen or will see just about everything on those stations at some point. But I don't have an overwhelming "favorite" show otherwise.

Now, as of February 28th, one of my favorite "filler"shows will start again! It's called "The Amazing Race" and it's a seriously exciting show. My cousin got me interested in it a few years ago, and I have been hooked ever since. I generally don't consider TAR to be an overall favorite show, because it's only on for about 3 months and it shows up sort of randomly throughout the year. It's on CBS, and if you guys like intelligent "reality" shows, this is the best of that genre!

History Channel,and any Africa hunting on either one of the outdoor channels.I'm burned out on deer,turkey,duck and goose hunting shows.Modern Marvels is pretty good sometimes.I watch about 2 hrs. a week of TV,I'm so busy re-building a house.Getting up at 4am,working long hrs.at work,and then working until 10 or 11 at night,not setting in front of a TV,and missing some meals for 3 mos,I have lost 35 lbs. and feel great,but am tired almost all the time.Talking to you dudes in the mornings is about all the screen time I do.Jerry

How it's Made on The Science Channel, Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs on Discovery, Rides and Overhaulin' on TLC, Whose Line is it Anyway on ABC Family, several programs on DIY Network.

Used to love stuff on the Outdoor channel but we don't get it anymore.

alright, i guess i'll let you guys in on how much TV i watch....

the original CSI, the shield, rescue me, scrubs, the british Antiques Roadshow (we americans are so dumb), Mile High (BBC), Coupling (again, British), Cash in the Attic (BBC), Flip This House, Dirty Jobs, Monster Garage, Mythbusters, Overhaulin, Miami Ink, the Powerblock on Spike, The Ultimate Fighter, and, you guys are gonna laugh....... Gilmore Girls. I know, I know, but my wife got my on it, and the dialog is nice and snappy, and Lauren Graham is not unattractive.... and, oh god, i can't believe i'll tell you this, but Buffy The Vampire Slayer in the mornings while i eat breakfast.

I'll also watch just about anything on the History or Learning Channel.

When i get home, i want to relax and turn my mind off most times, so i watch kinda off the wall stuff. i also have a little 19" TV on my workbench to keep me occupied while i stare at mausers and blocks of wood..... :-)

Yeah, the History Channel is one of my most watched. Hardly watch anything on the networks anymore, I despise all the shows that are clearly aimed at the younger audience.

When there is a golf/football/baseball/Spurs basketball game on the network, then I watch it. But many of these are now on the satellite channels devoted to a particular sport. So the networks get little attention (unless it's to check the local weather). But even that ain't of much interest anymore--we all know it ain't going to rain until next hurricane season.

Oh, and the Hallmark Channel (especially all the old episodes of M-A-S-H). They don't start until 10 PM and run to midnight. That's when I make use of the DVR receiver that DishNetwork is sticking me an additional $6 (plus tax, we must not forget the tax) each month. 100 hours of recording time before it starts over, watch what you want later, delete the rest.

The Weather Channel used to be a favorite, but since anyone in Texas can now predict the weather, who needs it!

fritz

"I only wish I could stay up that late anymore..."

Jason,

Get yourself one of them new fangled DVR receivers. Much better than the old VCR which was obsolete by the time we learned how to program it.

Now, if someone can help me program the DVR before it, too, becomes obsolete I would be most grateful.

fritz

How much for one? I've been thinking of uping my programing to the next wrung up the ladder and was contemplating asking about a DVR.

I've had Dishnetwork for years now, perhaps I could do some negotiating.

Being in Iraq, I have not watched TV in almost a year. I don't miss it.

Jason,

You must have signed up with DishNetwork before they had the new receivers. You can call them and ask about the upgrade receiver, but more than likely you are tied (by the fine print) to a certain time period (usually 2 years) on that old receiver. When you are free of the committment, drop them and go with another company that will install the new receiver.

Or you can go back with DishNetwork and have them install new equipment (as a new customer). BTW, if everyone would read that fine print in their contracts, then NO ONE would sign it). There was a clause in my contract that said that they could go up on the cost of any of their services and product rentals (which is what you are doing, you don't own the equipment) at any time.

And the fundillos did just that. After installing an upgrade receiver that I did not request, they hit me with an additional $5/month rental on the fancy DVR. True to their greed, that just increased to $6/month. I am stuck with them for another year (unless I want to pay the default price and send back all their equipment) which will cost about $200.

My sister went through the same thing with DishNetwork, and she finally got the monkees off her back after her committment period was up. In her case she was not allowed to access many networks they called "local" even though they were over 100 miles away. My contract allowed me those networks as standard.

Read your contract, and see just where you stand.

Good luck,

fritz

I have been with Dish Network for four years now and I did get on with them prior to the new technology. They paid the installer to come out and hook all this stuff up and they provided the equipment with a one year contract. I have America's Top 50 and pay $34.09 a month. In the time I've been with them, they have upped the rates once and that notice came with a letter from the company president apologizing for the $2/month increase. Heck, I've been with them for so long on the same plan that I think I'm grandfathered in on the plan I'm on 'cause I couldn't find it listed on their website the other night. I just like having the few channels I watch and the weather now and then. In truth, I rarely turn the TV on - that's in lieu of the hours I spend in front of this thing - but there are times that I just by golly want to watch TV. (I'm sure I'm not getting my money's worth on the telly, but oh well.)

In truth, I rather wish I could get high speed internet out here. If such was the case, I'd of dispensed with the idea of television all together and instead put the computer were the TV is and surfed the net from my easy chair. (I already have the wireless mouse and keyboard. I'm half way there!)

I don't know about this DVR business anyway. I own two DVD players and never use either of them. I reckon I'll just save my money for the time being. Besides, that'd be an extra six beers I could purchase on one of my trips to the Office if I didn't upgrade. And six beers is never a bad thing!

Jason

"Wished I had the Military Channel and BBC 3."

I didn't get them until I went to the upgrade package, I dropped a movie channel and for the same price I am now getting a lot of channels that I never got in the cheaper package, at about the same price.

And that DVR receiver is beginning to be worth the extra $6/month.

Jason, don't know where you are buying your beer, but here that is only 4 beers and not a six pack. But we always throw in a tip, so it comes out to maybe only 3 beers.

fritz