Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New use for AcraGlass

Sailormilan2

I found a new use for AcraGlass Gel today. Quite unintentionally. I was working on replacing the tank mounted fuel pump in my Suburban, when I broke one of the fuel tank vents on top of the tank. mad.gif

No parts house had them, nor did I find any at the local Pick A Part salvage yard. It is of course Sunday, and the dealers aren't open for parts on Sunday. mad.gif

Sooooooo, back to the shop. I drilled out the hole where the tube had been. I took an old aluminum 22 cal pistol cleaning rod, and using my lathe, drilled out the threaded end and made the hole longer. Then I took a piece of Copper tubing the same outside diameter as the original plastic tube, and bored out the hole until it could just slip over the aluminum tube.

I cut the copper piece aobut 1/4" shorter than the aluminum one. Then got out the acraglass. I coated the aluminum tube and pushed it into the broken vent where I had drilled the hole. Then pushed the copper tube over the aluminum tube, and coated the joint with loads of AcraGlass.

Then let it sit in the baking oven, commonly called the Bakersfield, CA noonday heat in July. In about 3 hours it was solid to the touch and usable.

Eat your heart out Dealer. laugh.gif

Basically, the aluminum is coated with Acraglass gel, then the copper tube is slipped over it. Only needed it for added strength until the epoxy is done. Not a high stress part. If I have to drop the tank again I will have a new part to replace it.

As far as galvanic corrosion, I belive one usually needs some moisture for that. Average rain fall here is about 5" a year.