Military Firearm Restoration Corner

rechambering to 8mm remington

bubbamauser

It's kind of a monster. I don't think I'd try an old WW barrel with that thing.

To get an 8mm you're going to have to spend some bucks on a magnum action of some kind. You might as well spend a few more and get a quality barrel too. Also, I doubt that the rate of twist on an old WW barrel is going to stabilize that screaming, heavy bullet.

We do this so that we can have an outlet to squander all of our spare change. You might as well go for broke instead of broken.

Have fun,

Brad

No. Don't do it. You won't have enough material left in a military barrel to do this safetly. Your action won't feed this cartridge without expense and sometimes contraversial alterations. Proper brass is probably just as, if not more scarce than the 8x68s. The 8mm Remington is a monster. And one best served by a magnum length commercial action.

If you really want one, I'd bet you could find a Remington chambered in this beheamoth a lot less expensive than you could put together a M98. The last one I saw at a gunshow went for $450 bucks. It'd of been in my safe if I'd of had the money...

I wouldn't recommend building one unless you want to pull out all the stops and go whole hog.

Jason

Guest lefteyedom

8mm remington is a fine overlook cartridge, but to rechamber an 8X57 which has a oal of 3.25 you would have lenght issues with the 8mm remingtons 3.60 OAL. Compare that to the 8mm.06 at 3.25 or the 30-338 at 3.29

If you don't want to hand load stop here, other wise...

8X57 8mm.06 8mm rem 30-338

150gr 2900 3000fps 3400 3400

175gr 2700 2800fps 3200 3100 (180grn)

220 grn 2300 2400fps 2900 2800

If you where to rechamber for the wildcat 8mm.338win mag your bullet speed would be about the same as the 30-338 (maybe a little faster). Which would be very close to the 8mm Remington Mag. The bolt face would have to be opened and the feed rails modified a little (common mauser conversion) cut the barrel around 24" and go find and elk to try it out on.

By the way this would be very close to the performance of the new WSM325.

Gary

Cheyenne