Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Weak Receiver Bridge?

Guest RooterTooterShooter

Guest RooterTooterShooter

I am nearing completion on my latest (number 6) Mauser project - a full stocked Mannlicher style carbine with butter knife bolt handle. However there are 2 concerns bothering me. First of all, I removed the charger hump to allow mounting of a XS sight systems receiver sight. I did it the wrong way - with a bench grinder, and ended up thinning the bridge a little more than I intended. It's not paper thin by any means, but noticably thinner in the area where the bolt guide rail comes through than an unmodified M98 receiver bridge. Secondly, I drilled one of my holes for the reciever sight a little off center. I welded the hole closed with oxy acetelyne and re-drilled in the proper location. Then I started worrying that I may have carborized the metal in this area and made it brittle. I did use heat stop paste EVERYWHERE except in the area immediately surrounding the hole. Have I possibly created a safety problem, or will the receiver bridge just crack after repeated firing, worst case scenario? Thanks for any input.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned if you didn't show us a finished product picture than I would if you thinned and annealed the rear bridge. It's not really all that structural you know. As long as its still there and looks good, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

While it may not be that important to overall structural integrity if you softened it you can expect to see peening when you work the bolt forward. Try it and see where the bolt root hits the rear bridge. Also expect accelerated wear to the extractor cam surface.