Military Firearm Restoration Corner

284 in a mauser

Racepres

OK I tried the search function, knowing that this was discussed previously, but ... the ole mac may be at fault here!!!! I am wanting to put a 284 [win] bbl on my mauser my question is about feeding. If it won't feed I aint interrested. What has been the collective experience. Thanks .. MV

This is one of those cartridges that because of its rebated rim causes lots of grief when trying to get one to feed in a mauser. The 6.5x284 is very popular but almost all are in push feed rifles.

I like the .280 for easy conversions.

the 284 can be done but be prepared to spends some time getting things to work like they should.

Guest Guest

The .284 Win and 280 Rem (7mm Express) have the same case capacity. Both cartridges will perform equally out of a standard Mauser with the same length barrel.

The 284 requires modifying the feed rails and the case, like the belted magnum case, was never intended for the standard Mauser magazine.

The 280 requires no feed rail alteration and the case is perfect for the Mauser magazine (you might have to open the front a bit).

If I had a true "short action" bolt action (based on .308 length cartridges), I'd be chomping-at-the-bit over the .284. With a standard length Mauser, I'm kinda scrathin' my head on why someone would be interested in the .284.

I'd go with a .280 Rem, and never look back.

Should have said... It aint that I gotta have a 284, it's that I can have one on the cheap. Heck I am in love w/ my 7mm X 57, as it does all I ever wanna... This 284 bbl is immaculate! and I might add it does intrigue [sp] me. If It is possible w/ limited tooling , to make it feed , it would be very cool. Thanks, thusfar, MV

Well I did the deed. Got a cool herters 284 bbl. light sporter, 24" , kind of the style of the ruger lightweight. Upon initial [hand] fitment, the headspace is "snug" but it feeds really well IF the bullets are seated out a bit [the throat handles this well] It is immaculate inside [probably the original owner disliked the ammo cost]. Hope when I finish it it shoots well. MV