Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Identifying Excesive Setback In Reciever

youngtrout

Hello, let me first fill you in on my project.

I have a fn military 98, and my plan was to install a A&B 338-06 barrel, I lapped lugs and was getting about 75% but could not get any more so I called it good. There is some set back in the reciever.

When I turned the barrel as far as I could I could see that is was not going to contact the inner C ring so I took it to a gunsmith to lengthen the barrel shank,,,,,and he flat turned me away and advised me to get a commercial reciever, he did all this with very little inspection of the reciever, I got the impression that maybe he does not like working with the 98's.

I guess the question I'm asking is how can I determine the quailty and safety of the reciever. I know setback is a real issue. So with this reasoning should every action be scraped with some setback, In 10 mausers I've had the chance to look at at least 5 showed some signs of setback.

Just trying to put my mind at ease

I didn't believe about 98 setback that I read on this forum, but when I got ~ 50 of the 1903 Turks and took the barrels off, ~ 10% have deep bolt lug foot prints in the race in the receiver. I can't do that with hot loads, but someone did it somehow, or it is a screening process for those that are not heat treated.

Now every bolt action that I remove the barrel, I check for any indentation in the bolt race in the reeiver.

Please ellaborate on how you concluded there was "setback".

Don't confuse normal wear with setback. All receivers will eventually show some signs of setback. How much they exhibit is the key.

That said, sounds like the smith didn't like mausers possibly but he ws right to not rebarrel IF setback was present. It would have been a waste of your money and eventually might have been dangerous.

A 50% setback rate is high in my experience. But that can depend a lot of what type of action you are working with.

1903 Turks, not unlikely. VZ24's pretty unlikely. K 98's, again unlikely. Spanish, why bother.

Setback can most always be corrected.

FYI, I pull all the barrels even from rifles I intend to leave the current barrel on. I inspect the receivers, then adjust headspace to minimum. This will promote longevity in the action.

Hello, I added some pics of the reciever.

I guess I concluded setback by seeing the indents in the face, I guess no setback would be a flush surface, with maybe some wear marks, but the difference between serious setback and okay setback I do not know.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Do the pics help, would love o hear from someone who ha looked through a bunch of these.....there is certainly some wear, but is it excessive??

thanks for any feedback

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Hello, I added some pics of the reciever.

I guess I concluded setback by seeing the indents in the face, I guess no setback would be a flush surface, with maybe some wear marks, but the difference between serious setback and okay setback I do not know.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Do the pics help, would love o hear from someone who ha looked through a bunch of these.....there is certainly some wear, but is it excessive??

thanks for any feedback

Did you ever find and answer to your question?

youngtrout,

are these pics before or after you lapped the lugs? if its after, you may have gone a little too far. i would be concerned that you've gone past the case hardening. if its before, it looks like heavy wear with the same result. if it was setback from pounding, there should be a small ridge of metal on the other side of the lug abuttment as well. this can often be felt when unlocking the bolt as a bump, with the bolt actually moving slightly forward. in any event, i think if the lug seats are level and smooth you could have the receiver re-carburized and restore function. you may want to have the bolt re-hardened too.

Thanks bobvz

That is basically where I am with the project, I figure If I end up using the action I will have the bolt and the reciever hardened.

The pictures are after I lapped the lugs, I really was pretty gentle, there was already some initial setback, soooooooooo

I have my eye on a vz-24 at a local gunshop, they are way too proud of it though, hopefully it will sit a couple of months and offer them less, thats how I got my last vz-24 (she is pretty, might actually have to leave this one intact though