Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Building Info

trobi

i've desided that i want to build a rifle using a mauser action. i plan on using a 98 action, e.r.shaw barrel or a&b. probably in 22 or 24in length. the stock i'm not sure, i think i'll leave that open and see what you guys suggest. what ever i go with i'd want one that i would not have to do alot to. was thinking about a precision fully bedded but i do like the laminates. i like both 308 and 257. what would be required to be done to have either one of these cal. feed and fire properly in the 98? would a 24 action be any better? any input would be welcomed.

Howdy Kingsman and welcome.Since this will be your first rifle,me thinks I'd go with the .257 Roberts because you shouldn't have any feeding problems that sometimes .308's have,and since it's a mild recoil but hard hitting caliber,I'd go synthetic and build a nice,lightweight hunting rifle,and then on your next rifle,and there will be others if you finish one,build a little nicer and spend a little more.It's my inexperienced opion that VZ 24's are one of the best actions.That's the best part of going .257,it's safe in just about any action,so you can use 93,95,Swede 96(one of my favorites),plus the intermediate actions like the 24/47 and Yugo 48 &48A.Stocks for the Yugo's were hard to come by for a while,but that's not true now,and there are lots of Yugos being imported now.You get started on your gun,and just ask here for advice,and I know for a fact,you can build a gun with these guys help.I thought I knew guns until I found this site.I've never ran into a snag that these old boys didn't get me through.Jerry

Kingsman, I agree with Jerry on the .257 it's a super round based on the 7x57 so feeding shouldn't be a problem as it might or might not be with the .308 .When you say a 24 action I'm not sure which 24?But which ever one should be fine but like Jerry already said stocks for the shorter Yugo 24 actions are not as plentyful as they are for the Chech VZ-24 ,I might be wrong as it happens alot but I can only think of one synthetic stiock that is a drop in for a yugo so I kind of lean to the VZ-24 over the Yugo 24 as everyone makes stocks for the standard length VZ-24s.My first one was a .257 on a Yugo,great gun,it's in a Boyd's nutmeg laminated now after wearing a cut up military stock for alot of years.This is a lot of fun ,hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us. Jim

thanks for the intial info. i've leaning towards the 257 because less agrivation with feeding and this will my 1st complete rebuild i want to keep somewhat simple. i would assume that all VZ24 and swede 7x57 will have straight bolt handles that will need to bent for scope clearance. don't like scouy scope set up and my eyes don't like iron sights. do any of you know someone that you can recommend to bend the bolt or fabricate one that does a good job? don't really know or trust anyone around here. do they make the VZ24 in 7x57? if i use a 98 action(8 mm) would 257 still be the best choice ? i have some books on the way,so i'm going to read before starting project but i have found that people that have hands on experience generally have better knowledge. keep the info coming

tom OPERA NON VERBA

There is a guy here (Davis May) that does them.

I've never bought one of his bolts but his work is very highly regarded by members of this forum.

I'm sure someone here can give you his info.

Kenny

If you want a bolt welded email me.

interested on having bolt welded once i start my project. i will probably start getting items in the next month or so. could you give me cost and is there anything else that nneds to done other than changing safety to be able to scope rifle. do you have any pictures of your work? thanks for the reply.

tom

I wouldn't hesitate to use Z to weld a bolt handle.

Z is VERY knowlegable and helpful.

I just want to throw out another choice.

Tanglewood also does excellent work, he specializes in

making his own handles which are a bit longer than what

you can get from Midway / Brownells.

You've come to the right place we will help you along.

This guy says he can deliver for $47:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mauser-98-Large-Ring-B...itemZ7225893226

He might be able to deliever what he has made 1,000 times, but he can't repsond to an email with enough reading comprehension to converge on an arangement for him to do custom work.

Another lamb to the slaughter. Muah!

Very good advice. You also might consider a 6.5 x 55. I have two A&B barrels and both are good shooters. The 375 blank that I just turned into a 38-55 is really accurate and the the bore is smooth as a baby's butt without lapping. The prechambered 6.5 x 55 was rougher, but is still accurate. For a 257 sporter I'd go with an F14 contour. It's their lightweight contour but in my opinion is still pretty beefy.

If you're going to do your own barrel work it makes sense to start with an economical blank so that you don't feel so bad when you make mistakes. Usually its possible to recover from mistakes so don't panic. If you're going to pay someone to do the barrel work it might make sense to buy a higher quality blank.

Here's one I did yesterday for a guy. It will be going on a heavy barrel 6.5x55 built on a Turk 1903, hence the somewhat ratty bolt.

He wanted to use the militarty knob that comes on the vz24. etc, but wanted it longer and sticking out a bit farther than normal due to the fat stock he picked out. He was very happy with it. I welded the knob & some stem onto some bar stock and the recontoured it in the lathe.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

That's the beauty of welding, you can make it exactly like you want.

Here's one I did yesterday for a guy. It will be going on a heavy barrel 6.5x55 built on a Turk 1903, hence the somewhat ratty bolt.

He wanted to use the militarty knob that comes on the vz24. etc, but wanted it longer and sticking out a bit farther than normal due to the fat stock he picked out. He was very happy with it. I welded the knob & some stem onto some bar stock and the recontoured it in the lathe.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

That's the beauty of welding, you can make it exactly like you want.

Nice work!

Kenny

Guest Guest

Z,

that IS a nice weld job.

I do not weld, and must get someone else to do it.

So far my brother and I have bend ~50 for me, my brother has TIG welded 3 for me, and Randy Ketchum of Lynood guns has welded 6 Nagants and one Mausuer for me. I have a bag of 14 Mauuser bolts with Randy right now. He used to charge $15 and get it done is a week. Now it is $40 and taking months:(

I carry around some 2,000 grit sandpaper for the knob ball.

When the cut off the handle, weld on the extension, clean up the weld in the lathe, THEN is a good time for ball smooting.

I prefer the opposite of a knurled knob.

I like the slipery smooth knob.

Guest?

Darned new brouser!

Dang it Clark! You done went and complimeted me after I slammed you publicly! Don't I feel like a heel!

Clark and I have been known to disagree on topics but I have to admit there has been more than one time where I have had to publicly agree with what Clark has posted. When someone is right, they are right!

I may not agree with your reloading practices but I think I was wrong to disagree with your bolt bending style. It may not be to my liking but that doesn't mean it is wrong, only different.

Thanks for the lesson in humility! I mean that sincerely!

Now, where is that rag so I can get this egg off my face?

Z i'll contact you when ready to have the bolt welded. you do nice work. my dad is a machinist and has been one for 65 years he even likes your work.

now, ii husky 6.5x55 action usable for 257? belgium 7x57? is the yugo 24 a short action like a vz24 and are they as good. there are alot of models and starting to get a little confussed on the best one to use.Sooo... if you would sugest the best to worse models that i should try to use for 257 conversion and then for a caliber that would be close to 308 agian for ease of conversion and availabilty of ammo.

thanks tom OPERA NON VERBA

Your welding pics make you easier to forgive.