Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bolt Assyembly ?

mauserkid

My 98 mauser and Springfield 1903A3 does not inter change. 98 is bigger, and has different lenghts.

spec.4

Thanks, a fellow loonie, read an article that used the Springfield bolt in a custom 98, and wanted to know for sure. I had nothing to fallow up on.

Thanks again...

If it is custom anything is possible. I don't pretend to know anything about springfield bolts but, fom the few I have seen, they would require attention in order to work in a 98. They didn't strike me as plug and play!

If it is custom anything is possible. I don't pretend to know anything about springfield bolts but, fom the few I have seen, they would require attention in order to work in a 98. They didn't strike me as plug and play!

Thanks guys, I will pass it on...

I prefer to build on the 03 over the Mauser. Without digging one of each out, I can tell you there are significant differences. The Springfield uses a coned breech and extractor cut. Your friend should look at his breech to see if it is coned. IIRC the Springfield left bolt lug is a bit thicker. It slopes to the rear to fit the coned breech.

The third lug on the Springfield bolt is on the side rather than the bottom. It is visible when the bolt is closed. Overall, I think the switch could be made Springfield bolt to Mauser easier than Mauser bolt to Springfield. One could probably open the rear of the loading port on the Mauser to accomadate the third lug and cone the breech or turn off part of the left bolt lug. LL