Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Harbor Freight Tig?

Hauskarl

For the price I'm curious.

What Harbor Freight's warranty and return policies? And is there a foot pedal that can be mounted on this to circumvent the need to scratch start it?

It appears this is merely an inverter than inverts AC to DC. You will still need a regulator and argon cylinder, and will merely have a scratch start tig welder.

For arc welding, it should be fine (DC) with small electrodes. I have welded many bolts with small rods on DC. Get one of their magnets to hold the parts together while you scratch start, and you maybe should get one of their automatic welding hoods that allows you to see the work as you touch it.

Their warranty is available to buy, but will only cover breakdowns and not dissatisfaction with the product.

fritz

Guest Guest

It appears this is merely an inverter than inverts AC to DC. You will still need a regulator and argon cylinder, and will merely have a scratch start tig welder.

For arc welding, it should be fine (DC) with small electrodes. I have welded many bolts with small rods on DC. Get one of their magnets to hold the parts together while you scratch start, and you maybe should get one of their automatic welding hoods that allows you to see the work as you touch it.

Their warranty is available to buy, but will only cover breakdowns and not dissatisfaction with the product.

fritz

Well said. I would spend the money instead on paying someone. Or, save a little longer and get something better.

I just got their latest sale flyer, and that welder is $199, not $219.

I shop at the Harbor Freight on Parmer Lane in Austin, and it is very easy to shop there. None of the hassle with the here today-gone tomorrow sales held by the fellows who sell out of an 18 wheeler parked in the back of a hotel or community center.

I have gotten some fantastic deals from them, but we must remember that they sell Chinese tools. You must take that into consideration. On some items, it's OK. But on big ticket items like tig welders, I take my shopping to the local welding supply store.

They know their products better, and are in a better position to steer you right. You might pay a bit more, but that's the way it is.

fritz

Yes, it would work like a tig. As to not heating the metal too much, that depends entirely on the operator. Does this thing even have a foot pedal? Other than parts moving around like Fritz said, I've found that scratch starting can lead to unsightly burn marks on the metal where you have to scratch.

Thanks bubbamauser,

That's a very good tutorial on tig welding. It doesn't take the place of a few years welding practice, but is about as good a tutorial as I've seen.

I see that the Harbor Freight setup has auto start and stop on the gas, and that's good. My setup, while of a higher quality and with the floating ball regulator, does not (at least I always have to shut off the valve on the torch to save gas when pausing for a time).

But one thing I have learned is to just go ahead and buy a cylinder of argon instead of renting. That $6/month rent will eat you up if you are just a hobbyist weldor. I have had my cylinder now for over two years, and that would have been $144 just for rent of the cylinder. The rent will cost you more than the argon.

Of course at the price it is not AC high frequency, which you would need if you wanted to weld aluminum also. Also high frequency eliminates the need to scratch start, the arc starts when the tungsten gets close to the work. But if you bought AC high frequency, pedal control, water cooled torch, it would not be cost effective for a hobbyist.

But it would be easier to use.

fritz

I have one and have done a few bolt handles and the bottom metal on a P17. The biggest problem I have is the scratch starting if you have the power low - the electrode will stick to the metal you are scratching. At higer power it works fine. I have much better luck with this cheap tig welder than with a cheap MAPP setup.

If I had the money I would get a real tig machine but the harbor frieght one will work with practice as long as you are not doing anything too delicate.

Scott