Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Conversion M96

trobi

thinking about buying a m96 6.5 cal. what other cal. could i convert this to with out having feeding problems? might make this a deer rifle or maybe a varmit killer if it will handle the pressure. going to build a 98 also . will a 7mm08 feed in either one of these without problems?

tom OPERA NON VERBA

I certainly would not recommend using a 7mm08 in a M96 action. The 96 was designed for a maximum of around 45,000 cup and the 7mm08 develops at least 10,000 cup more than that with factory ammo. You should use a good 98 if you are going to use modern high pressure rounds.

Spiris

I'd stay with 6.5x55.If you get a barreled action,the barrel will most likely be good,because I haven't seen a bad Swede barrel yet,and if it's a bare action,I'd still stay with the 6.5.I'd dang sure not put an 8x57 on it.6.5 Swedish is a wonderful load.They shoot hard,long range,low recoil,shells are plentiful,and will work in your action slicker'n butter.It'll do anything or mostly do it better than anything I can think of that would be safe in a '96 action.Don't do the 7mm/08 in the Swede.The 98 action may or may not feed the 7mm/08,some have no problems at all,and others have to jack with them some to get it to feed.I prefer to use a caliber the action was designed for because of my inexperience in working on feed ramps and magazines.Some of the experts will kick in their opinion today,and take their advise,because what I know I learned from them.Spiris is one of them,and his advise should be taken.Jerry

I sure hope we can talk you out of this. First of all, the 6.5x55 is an excellent rifle. I've been into them for about 10 years now, and have my share. The 6.5 penetrates like crazy, has the best sectional density of any bullet out there, and shoots almost as flat as the 270. Don't let anybody tell you different.

Second reason I would hope to talk you out of it, Swedes in original condition are getting fewer and fewer. If you want a sporter, I'll trade you one. Better choice anyway, would be a 98 action which will handle just about any deer chamber you could want, even up to a Whelen 35. Anything built on the .473" case, same as 30-06, will work beautiful in the 98 action which was built for the 8x57, granddaddy of 90% of American deer rifles. There are still lots of Turks and Czechs out there to sporterize. There were over 11 Million 98's made. Barely over 1/2 million Swedes. Swedes are becoming collectors, not sporters.

As already stated, the Swede was built for 45,000 c.u.p.. That's equal to about 51,000 psi. The 98 action will handle 65,000 psi easy, which covers all the modern chambers.

I agree with all the above. There's little to improve upon the 6.5 x 55. Flat-shooting, accurate, deadly to anything legal to kill in North America...it covers all the important features.