Military Firearm Restoration Corner

'98 From 30-06 To 6.5x57 ?

I guess this is how things start. I bought a new pre-chambered 6.5x57 mauser barrel,so now I need an action. 30.06/270 commerical FNs are not too hard to find,but will a 57 case work through the feed rails? Or did you have to modify a 57 for 30-06?

I have a 264FN ,so a lite 6.5 would be a match.The 6.5-06 covers the same ground as the 264,so rechambering 06 doesn't make much sense even to me.Besides when I read about the 6.5x57,I was interested.

My FN .30-06 feeds 7x57 fine, but the mag box is a little long. A small spacer might tighten things up a bit but is probably not necessary. I had a 7x57 built on a Yugo M24 intermediate action(orig 8x57) some years ago and it feeds 7x57 flawlessly. I presume the 6.5x57 would feed just as well. The Yugo action is perfect for this length cartridge.

I agree with Bob - an intermediate action 24/47 or M48 (not M48A just 'cause I don't like the stamped bottom metal, but if you do it'll work too) is just the ticket.

I'd have to disagree, at least on the not getting an m48a. All the A's I've handled have been smoother, better finished, and less prone to the annoying sticky bolt tendencies the M48 tends to display. I just buy m48 bottom metal. I like the stamped followers that come with the M48a because they wrok so well in .308 conversions.