Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Persian98/32 Conversion Choices

trobi

so, i have this 98/32 on order and will probably recieve it in about a week or so. what cal. recomendations for this action would create less feeding problems? i will want to stay with a bolt face dia. of.473 which is 8mm.i like 308 because of the variety of bullet wgt. don,t care for 30.06 would like 7mm-08 but what about 257? would i have a feeding problem because the o.a.l. is aprox.7/16" shorter

tom OPER NON VERBA

DT is correct. 7x57, 6.5x55, 257 Roberts, or 6mm Remington will all feed like grease through a goose. If you want a .30 caliber, the .30-06 will normally feed with no trouble at all, and commercial hunting cartridges will fit the magazine without any modifications. The .308 is iffy. It either works slick or doesn't work at all, creating some "learning opportunities" for the builder. I would think 7mm08 would fall into the same category.

Clemson

I have heard a lot about the feeding problems involved with using a short action cartridge (like the .308 or .243) in a 98/22 or similar long action.

I can only say I have built about as many as anyone on these standard length actions, using the above calibers plus the 22/250, and have had no feeding problems.

If you do experience a feeding problem, there are simple cures for it. Since you are undertaking a gunsmithing project when you do this kind of work, be prepared for things like this or that.

Your case may differ, there are always differing opinions, like on the safety of the 1916 Spanish Nato.

fritz