Military Firearm Restoration Corner

6mm Barrel On 1891 Loewe Action

Thor

Problem: I gave my 6MM which I bought in 1968 to my son for his 18th birthday. I built a 6MM on a Turk but let a buddy talk me out of it, traded for a K98 no less. I want a 6MM, no givaway, no trade this time, I want another 6MM of my own.

I have a 1891 Loewe (Argentine) action with a Swede barrel on it now. The Swede brass at the web is about .005" larger than .473" brass and another .003" larger than 7.65. That's a total of about .008" larger at the web. The Argentine rails, built for the narrower 7.65, hold the fatter brass down lower and the bolt will not catch it to cycle on up and out of the magazine. Yes, I could widen the rails, but have a mental block on that. I had a bad experience a few years ago with an Ishapore that wouldn't cycle right after I modified the mag rails.

The 6MM ammo will cycle through the Loewe beautifully. Already tried it. A Remington takeoff barrel has enough meat to turn down and rethread to fit. So I know this will work from a gunsmith point. Question is, how much pressure will the Loewe handle? Will it handle the pressure of the 6MM? What is the chamber pressure of the 7.65 Argentine?

The 6mm Rem operates at too high a pressure for me to use in the 91 action. Now, the 250 savage would be a good choice.

In your other thread you state: "As already stated, the Swede was built for 45,000 c.u.p.. That's equal to about 51,000 psi. The 98 action will handle 65,000 psi easy, which covers all the modern chambers." The 91 was designed well before the 96 and metalurgy and gas handling are both surpassed by the 96. The 6mm rem operates closer to 60K psi.