Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Relay For Life

fritz

On a more serious note, today is the day when many towns have a marathon run, walk, etc. to make people aware of the deadly disease known as cancer.

Ours started at 6 PM on the town square, and will last until Sunday morning. mrs fritz is one of the walkers who will walk, in relays, around the square all night. She is a member of a team called "Cowgirls for Cures".

I was present for the start of the ceremonies, and it was an impressive start. The VFW had an honor guard lead a parade for the first lap, which consisted of those who had survived cancer. I was amazed at how many were marching in that. It gives the rest of us hope.

I lost my mother to cancer when she was only 54 years old. mrs fritz had put a candle in the long (too long) line of candles representing someone who had died from this damned disease. And now my brother-in-law has oral cancer.

My mother might have been saved if this disease was diagosed earlier. But then again, since this was many years ago and research had not reached the level it has today, maybe not.

There are no "good" ways to die, but cancer is one of the worst ones. And this day is set aside to bring awareness to the public of how serious this is.

I know I shed a tear when that flag passed by, and it wasn't because I was being patriotic. Some things hurt for a long time.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but we are still a long ways from a cure. But as mrs fritz (in her role as Cowgirls for Cures) is doing, we must keep trying.

fritz

I's closer to me than I ever thought it could be. Don't really want to say much about it other than it isn't me. Close enough to feel.

Fritz, you and the folks are patriots, patriots for the human race and for people with loved ones.

Bless the folks out there doing that, bless the folks they are doing it for.

B.