Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Univited Guest

ChasMike

My wife and I decided to ease down to the river and see if the catfish were biting yet and had a surprise visitor come walking by on the other bank of the river. My wife just happened to bring the camera with her and I took a couple of pictures.

IPB Image

Mike,I reckon we shouldn't ever make fun of Japanese tourist with their cameras around their neck.That was a rare opportunity seeing a Robert cat in the daylight.Did ya'll catch any fish?Jerry

Seeing that river bank makes me want to go fishing. There has to be a place somewhere that has enough water to wet a line.

Not in my catfish ponds though, they are about dry. And the local river is so polluted (thanks to San Antonio) that I wouldn't eat a fish from it. The "researchers", who have never seen the river, say the pollution is caused by cattle.

Even I can tell the difference between a cow patty and a human turd. But, like I said, they have never seen the river. They use computers (that don't inspect septic tanks, city sewers, or the fact that there are fewer cows in the area than before). So, it can only be the cows crapping more, I guess.

I like catfish. Fryed right on the river bank, nothing better.

fritz

Even I can tell the difference between a cow patty and a human turd. But, like I said, they have never seen the river. They use computers (that don't inspect septic tanks, city sewers, or the fact that there are fewer cows in the area than before). So, it can only be the cows crapping more, I guess.

fritz

It's those new fangled high fiber diets. I'm with you fritz, I love fishing and catfish in particular, but darned if most of the places aren't too polluted to risk eating the fish from.

Well the catfish are just starting to bite. We only caught one that day but it was a 5 or 6 lb blue cat and I took it up to the house and cleaned it and filleted it and we ate it right away. It is hard to beat em right out of the river.

That bobcat was lucky that he was on the other side of the river. I had my 6mm with me and if I could have got over to him I would have been pointing something other than a camera at him. I figured I'd let him go and catch him on my side of the river so I could retreive him and tan his hide.

Later,

Mike

Well I went back down fishing in the river this evening. No more bobcats but caught a couple nice catfish. One weighed 10lbs and the other 5lb. Cleaned and filleted em both and put one bag in the icebox for tomorrow night and two bags in the freezer for later.

Looks like I drug them down a dirt road but its a pretty steep climb up the bank of the river so they hit the ground a couple times.

IPB Image

Gosh dang those are some nice cats Mike.Are you fishing in the Little Wichita or Red River?We use too fish Red River north of Muenster and St.Jo.As soon as the water was bareable to get in,we stretched trotlines out in about waist deep water baited with crawdads or minnows,sometimes perch.Lots of years ago,it was common to keep a trap out year round.Once in March of 74,I caught 82 channels and yellow cats at one checking.From Jan 'til then,I'd catch 2 or 3 at a checking(usually once a week),then I caught the 82,and after that went right back to a couple at a time,and then the river got up and sanded my trap under.I wouldn't even attempt to put a trap out anymore.I don't have access to the river anymore because of old folks dying off and kids selling the land,and I sure miss fishing in the river.Jerry