Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hot Bolt

ken98k

I just OA welded a new bolt handle on one of my k-kales.

I had a heat sink screwed in plus heat absorbing putty but the rear half of the bolt still turned blue.

I sprinkled some casnit on it then quenched it in snow (alaska)

Do you think it will be okay?

I sprinkled some casnit on it then quenched it in snow

I bought a can of that over 2 years ago, but have been afraid to try it. I wish I knew more about it.

The blue area is on the rear half of the bolt, about a 1/2" back from the gas ports.

The front recoil lug area was not affected.

I tried some 400 grit sand paper and that cleans up the color easily.

I may try re-hardening the cam surfaces with the Kasenit.

Thanks,

Kenny

You don't even need kasnit to reharden those caming surfaces. Just heat redhot and quench in water. Heat it quick, then quench! Use a small tip and a slightly carburising mix. Heat the cam at the root of the handle first, then quench, then heat the cocking cam surface and quench.

1/2" near the vent holes is quite a way for the heat to have migrated. On my bolts discoloration rarely extends past the swell at the rear of the bolt and I don't use heat paste. Of course, I am tigging my handles so its apples and oranges.

If you reharden the surfaces be prepared to spend some time working the scale off. Do not hit it with sandpaper or the like. Just apply motor oil to camming surfaces especially the cocking cam and work the bolt a couple hundred times.

kasenit wouldn't hurt, it's just not needed.

You don't even need kasnit to reharden those caming surfaces ... kasenit wouldn't hurt, it's just not needed.

So what is kasenit good for? Other than transfer money from my pocket to Brownell's pocket. (:-)

So was is kasenit good for? Other than transfer money from my pocket to Brownell's pocket. (:-)

Just what it says it's for, casehardening small parts. Like I said, it can be used to reharden the camming surfaces but it isn't necessary either. Truckloads of bolts have been rehardened without it. The other use it as you said, to help you get rid of that cash burning a hole in your pocket.