Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The "stockmaking" Education Continues

Thought I'd share some pics of a stock that I made for a Savage .22. Still not perfect but each stock, this is the third, is better than the last. This one is made of cherry and was originally designed to be used for aperture sights. I changed my mind and went with a scope. The comb drops a good bit but I like it and it fits well. Best yet it shoots well. It's pillar bedded and bedded to the step in front of the barrel lug. The floorplate, trigger guard and buttplate are homemade also.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

With Wolf Target ammo I've shot a 3/8" 8 shot group at 50 yds and 1/2" group with Rem Subsonics at 50yd. Both center to center.

It's nice when it works out that way.

Really, really great looking piece of work Tomme. I think the squirrels are in trouble your way.

I've never seen cherry used for a stock before. Maybe because it's hard to find a big enough piece. It should stabilize about like walnut though. Sure looks good. How was it to work with?

Brad

Meant LC, sorry about that.

Cherry is fairly easy to work with. Not as porous as walnut so in some ways is a bit harder to cut at times. It's one drawback is softness. It is a hardwood but will ding and dent pretty easily. On the other hand, it's a bit unique in gunstocks. Cherry wood will develope a deeper red color with aging which makes the character of the wood change through the years. This stock isn't stained so it will darken nicely over time. I put a few coats of Watco Tung oil on it followed by a few coats of high gloss poly to build a thick protective coating. I'll probably add a few more coats of poly for more protection.

This stock was experimental for style and features. I wanted to practice before I start on a mannlicher stock for a Carl Gustav. I plan on doing it in cherry with very traditional lines with a steep comb for open sights. After this one I feel up to tackling something a little more detailed.