Military Firearm Restoration Corner

It's Done!

724wd

finally, after a few years, my 1943 sauer 30/06 is done! i got it back from Mel Doyle yesterday (overnight delivery!) with it's matte black finish. it's a beautiful black bluing job, probably the nicest matte blue (black) i've seen. i cleaned it all up and screwed it into the stock... what a beauty! remounted the scope and am ready to shoot! i checked the firing pin protrusion... need to recheck it to make sure i won't puntcure a primer on the first shot. my quick measurement said either .065 or .057.... hmmmmm..... better recheck it.

the details.... 1943 sauer with nazi markings intact traded a rem 870 express at a gunshow for it. it was in a hacked richards microfit, supposed to be a 8mm/06 with really short barrel with a set of rcbs dies. turned out to be a 8mm mauser. yanked the barrel and bought a A&B 30/06. had it installed with skaggs, who did a great job. it already had a timney no-safety trigger, leupold one piece scope mount, hinged triggerguard (Numrich, i think). i bought a bell and carlson stock from midway (along with the barrel) and painted it my own brand of camo. will try to get pictures tomorrow in the sun.

I'M SO FREAKIN' HAPPY!

ONE DOWN, 5 TO GO........ :-)

LL, were are you located? I'm from walla walla now in spokane...... you in tri-cities? moses lake? cheney?

well, here are the photos!!!!!! YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!

(please try and overlook the holes in my yard.... danged white dog! if she wasn;t so cute, she'd be IN one of those holes!)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Nice looking piece of work, 7. I really do like the finish on the metal.

Is the B&C the Medalist or Classic? I ask because I have a Medalist coming for my 8x68 and I'm wondering if they need to be bedded around the aluminum bedding block, or if they "drop in" (hahaha).

Who cares about holes in the lawn when you've got Mausers to finish.

Brad

this one has no aluminum bedding. i think the fit is better than some factory stocks, and probably some aftermarket wood...... i didn't bed it because B&C say not to. we'll see how it shoots.

Guest Jason

I like it!

Did he parkerize the metal or use a black oxide process? That is a very nice black finish.

And although many rifle purists will tell you that wood is the only way to go when stocking a rifle, there is something to be said for the synthetics out there - they're just too easy aren't they? I put a Bulter Creek on my 30-06 and although I did bed it, the entire process was about a 1/3 less time consuming that the walnut I stocked my Swede with. I like the lines of your stock and I'll bet you'll have an accurate rifle on your hands.

Good job all the way around!

Jason

I know the feeling of "finally”. You’ve really got an attractive rifle!! Is the bolt and extractor polished or chrome plated?? Don’t worry about the lawn, I “finally” got around to mine today. My Rottweiler has taken to rolling in the bare spots and then wanting in the house.

well, the bolt is polished, the matte black is flat black/bluing. and jason, i LOVE walnut stocks. i have several chunks of walnut stored above my bench, 2 plain grained, one semi-fancy and one x-tra fancy, but there is a bark pocket that i dont know how deep it goes. i guess i'll find out when i have it turned! and i have a real nice piece of fiddle back maple at my dad's house. so i am not all about wood or all about synthetic. this gun's primary use is going to be elk hunting in varied terrains and may be bumped around a bit. i figured synthetic would best fill this niche.

since i live in spokane just 3 miles from the Biesen family, i might give them a call and see what kind of stock patterns they have. i'm sure it will be more money than i woulod like, but the quality will surely be worth it! with the reports i have heard of Richards and Boyds quality, i suppose it'd be money well spent. i haven't called them yet because i hate to get involved with things i can't pay for yet. it might be a year or two.....

has anyone here ever had a stock cut by the biesens?

well, the bolt is polished, the matte black is flat black/bluing. and jason, i LOVE walnut stocks. i have several chunks of walnut stored above my bench, 2 plain grained, one semi-fancy and one x-tra fancy, but there is a bark pocket that i dont know how deep it goes. i guess i'll find out when i have it turned! and i have a real nice piece of fiddle back maple at my dad's house. so i am not all about wood or all about synthetic. this gun's primary use is going to be elk hunting in varied terrains and may be bumped around a bit. i figured synthetic would best fill this niche.

since i live in spokane just 3 miles from the Biesen family, i might give them a call and see what kind of stock patterns they have. i'm sure it will be more money than i woulod like, but the quality will surely be worth it! with the reports i have heard of Richards and Boyds quality, i suppose it'd be money well spent. i haven't called them yet because i hate to get involved with things i can't pay for yet. it might be a year or two.....

has anyone here ever had a stock cut by the biesens?

Roger is a nice guy to deal with. Their stock turning is a good value but you are relegated to using his patterns. Not a bad thing in and of itself but if you want something different you need look elsewhere. Depends on what style you want. He will cut the stocks for his buttplates too which is nice. If you already have the blank then the turning will seem a bargain, especially once you have completed the inletting and found that there are no huge gaps.