Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tx Conceal-carry Laws.

FC

Stuff from my brother, a detective in Austin:

From what we were told and looking at the law is seems pretty clear that carrying would get you arrested. Unless you have a license I wouldn't carry..Traveling has always been considered leaving a county and crossing at least another. I'll see what I can find.

law discussion

"Traveling" defined at last, almost, after more than 125 years

HB 823 -- Amends Penal Code 2.05, 46.15

Analysts at the NRA, along with the Texas State Rifle Association's Legislative Committee describe these two new amendments this way:

"Texas H.B. 823 prevents the police from routinely arresting a law-abiding person who is transporting a concealed pistol in his motor vehicle. This is accomplished by clothing a law-abiding person with the presumption of being a traveler. The traveler presumption may be rebutted by the state by presenting proof beyond a reasonable doubt. In plain terms, a law-abiding person should have no problem transporting his pistol in a motor vehicle provided the pistol is concealed."

Texas Attorney Sean Healy has an eight-page paper

attempting to describe the new situation, read it here.

NRA short version (6/05):

"Legalizes the carrying of concealed handguns in private vehicles without a CHL."