Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Interesting Discovery

I was working on a rusty large ring receiver and decided to try a product called "Iron Out".

It's normally used for removing rust stains from laundry, toilets, and for treating water softeners.

I mixed a quarter cup in a gallon of warm water and let the receiver soak for 30 minutes.

When I removed the receiver, the areas I had preveously stoned or sanded had turned a dark blue / black.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Kenny

Try a couple of passes and then oil it. Maybe you're on to something. I wonder if having some rusted metal is required for the blackening to occur?

The blackening occred most noticeably on the clean, bright, areas.

Did the rust from other areas leave? All the cold blue solution recipes that I've seen contain iron, and I agree with Jimro that its likely an iron oxide that is producing the black color. The question is, where did the iron come from? Does "Iron Out" contain iron? If not it must have come from the receiver, either from the rust that was already there, in which case it may be difficult to blacken a rust-free part, or maybe from the surface of the polished steel itself, in which case it might make a good bluing solution. Can you post a picture?

Did the rust from other areas leave? All the cold blue solution recipes that I've seen contain iron, and I agree with Jimro that its likely an iron oxide that is producing the black color. The question is, where did the iron come from? Does "Iron Out" contain iron? If not it must have come from the receiver, either from the rust that was already there, in which case it may be difficult to blacken a rust-free part, or maybe from the surface of the polished steel itself, in which case it might make a good bluing solution. Can you post a picture?

I'm hot sure where the iron came from, most likely from the rust.

Too late to post photos as I followed the Iron out with Navel Jelly and a Brillow pad.

I'm going to experiment again, this time using a small pieces of steel just to see what happens.

Kenny

I've been in Missouri too long. I just had to try it. So I bought a jug, and applied it to the cylinder with a rag, not submerged. Best I've come up with is a graying. Project is a snubnose 38 that is in sore need of beautifying.

I may work on it some more tomorrow, submerging it if I can figure out how to disassemble it completely.

If I submerge the whole pistol, should I plug the barrel?

Guest Guest_kenak2_*

I've been in Missouri too long. I just had to try it. So I bought a jug, and applied it to the cylinder with a rag, not submerged. Best I've come up with is a graying. Project is a snubnose 38 that is in sore need of beautifying.

I may work on it some more tomorrow, submerging it if I can figure out how to disassemble it completely.

If I submerge the whole pistol, should I plug the barrel?

I think you should plug the barrel with a couple tapered wooden plugs.

Better safe than sorry.

Kenny

Greying is they typical result of a first pass of cold bluing. Try it a few more times and report back.

Plugging is a good idea, but not always completely effective. I've stayed out of trouble with rifle barrels by running clean patches through after boiling.

Is there any fox-red rust showing-up? Or is it immediately grey/black?

Maybe this could pan-out as a method to rust blue without the boiling and carding steps.