Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Range Etiquitte?

swamprat

I just joined a gun club with an indoor pistol range. All my target shooting in the past has been done outdoors on home made ranges. I would like some does and don't pointers so I don't get off on the wrong foot.

Thanks

Swamprat

Don't shoot the other members. Of course, that goes for outdoor ranges too, lol. Biggest issue I've ever had with indoor ranges was some prohibited the use of lead bullets.

the indoor range here doesn't want you to pick up your brass.... they consider it theirs (huh?), but i know several guys that pick it up, and no one really says anything... and i know one guy that that picks up EVERYTHING, and he hasn't been told not to, yet....

Guest Uncle FLETC

First rule at most indoor ranges is to not handle the firearm away from the shooting bench/table, take it from the holster or case and place it on the table.....keep the action open when not shooting. Nothing bothers a range officer worse than to see two shooters facing each other both with a firearm in hand comparing notes while sweeping themselves and others with the muzzle. Police brass from floor behind the line, if you do not want it...place in receptacle provided. Do not bother the other shooters with firearms jams or malfunctions....that is the range officers job.....If you have a problem.....place the firearm on the table - step back and raise your hand.....the range officer will come to your station. Be polite with other shooters, BUT report any dangerous activity to the range officer immediately! Listen and watch for range commands.....obey all range commands at once. If unsure of the proper procedure .....ask the range officer....he would rather take time to instruct than fill out accident reports.

Have fun but be alert at all times, the range officer is there to protect you.....but he can't be everywhere and see everything.