Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Let Me Know If I'm Nuts Or Not

odies dad

I have a new Remington varmint takeoff barrel in 223.

I would like to have a 223.

I like Mausers.

I have a couple 22-250's so I don't really need another of these.

Here is my idea;

Thread the 223 barrel for a Turk receiver. Make a holder for an AR15 type magazine in the Mauser's mag well. Use the clip for feed rails rather than the mauser's. Would need to fill in the bolt head to fit.

Rhineland makes a holder for a 45 colt mag in a Mauser for their 45 acp kit. Wouldn't this same system work for a AR15 clip in a Mauser?

I see no reason something like that couldn't work but you will also need either a new extractor or mods to the existing one.

My solution was to buy a Stevens 200 in 223.

My own 22 Mauser project will be a 219 Zipper. I got a reamer, now just need a barrel.

No, you're not crazy; not at all. In fact I'll wager that everyone here has thought about this at least once. However, its so blasted involved to do a conversion like this, most of us pass this one over. That said, it has been done before.

First it's good to see that Rod is back with us.

I've been looking into this myself.

I already have a .223 barrel to work with too.

The AR15 mag is pretty much a rectangle and

is 'just' a bit too wide to fit inside the existing mag

well.

On my next Midway order I was going to buy a

Ruger Minni 14 mag.

I seems to have a bit of a taper to it and I am

hoping that it will fit inside the existing mag well.

I wish I could hook up with someone that has a

Minni 14 to check. At least I do know a few with

AR's.

If you're crazy, than so am I.

Tinker

I've got a mini 14. Never thought of using the clips I had on hand, duh!

I was thinking of availability. I guess the 5, 10, and 20 rounders I have on hand are as available as anything.

I will check and see if they will fit through the floorplate.

Sorry, I just realized I never really answered your question. Yes, you are nuts! Then again, so are all of us, lol.

Sorry, I just realized I never really answered your question. Yes, you are nuts! Then again, so are all of us, lol.

Every time I see this thread, I've wanted to answer that question. But hey, Odie's Dad is a nice guy, so I've passed. He reminds me of my cocker spaniel. Nice to have around, even if he does chew on your slippers. (:-)

Sorry, but I didn't get down to the shop to check. Had road review before the township meeting last night. I don't think I have to be anywhere tonight.

These things fit like they were designed for it!

Nice friction fit. I will need to make a block for the front to keep it from tipping, but the shells strip off nicely and feed into the chamber.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Rod, are you interested in parting with that altered bolt?

ps sorry about the size but I couldn't figure out how to shrink them and still have them show.

I think you guys might be onto something here.

The shortest way between points A and B would be to weld the magazine into the triggerguard and makeup some blocks to fill in the gaps leftover.

Or, I suppose if someone were so equipped, it might be possible to machine a detachable magazine setup. I think that would be the coolest.

Now what would be really cool is if someone offered a triggerguard and extractor kit to do all this. Maybe someone like Rhineland Arms would be interested in something like this? Hint, hint, nudge, nudge guys... This would surely make those .223/7.62x39/6x45 conversions a lot more accessible to the shooting public!

This doesn't really need a mag release. It has a decent friction fit, (won't fall out) and removes with a light tug. I whittled out a plastic spacer for the hole in front of the mag and that keeps the mag from rocking.

I did find out that different mags fit differently due to the release catch. The factory mag has a thicker bump than one of the aftermarket ones. The 20 rounder fits the best as I have it set up. If I shorten the plastic block, the others will fit better but the 20 rounder may rock more. I decided I'd be the most apt to use the 20 round clip anyway.

Who can modify a bolt face for me. I assume I will need to get one of the unfinished extractors from Brownells or such. Would any other brands of extractor fit and work?

This project has me psyched!