Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Where To Find A Good Surplus Barrel?

R.Neumann

Well, I have amassed the components for my spanish small ring mauser minus the important one. I am looking for a SR 6.5x55 barrel but maybe some old unused war stock or something. I honestly dont want to spend a fortune on this rifle after getting it nice and cheap so does anyone have some good sources? If that isnt possible how about another 7x57?

7 x 57s are plentiful and cheap. The days of the cheap 6.5 x 55 barrels are over, but they're still out there around $80 and I think they're worth every penny. Last time I checked SAMCO still had some 6.5 x 55 barrels. There's another smaller outfit that also had some, but I don't remember who right now, hopefully someone else will. There are 7 x 57 barrels - the 19.5" carbines available from SARCO and I think for a little more, Cheaper than Dirt. I've used three of them and they've all been accurate. They typically have some exterior pitting, but the bores are pristine. Last time I checked they were $35, again worth every penny.

EDIT: The 7 x 57 bbls I referred to are large ring. A fun rethreading project if you have a lathe, a PITA if you don't.

if you end up in the $80 range, you might want to check out "Midway". They have 7x57 barrels for

$89.99. They are out of stock on the 6.5 barrels. Iam looking for a 6.5 myself, so if you find some

please post where you got it.

I think you can forget about the 29" barrels in 6.5x55. They reached the BOTTOM of the barrel. But there are still some 23" and 17" barrels out there. Samco DID have some left.

The Midway barrels will be A&B, probably 1 in 9 twist on the 6.5, not sure on the 7x57. Another thing, the old barrels are aged. Aging has same effect on metal as cryogenics, destressing the molecules. I'll take the old Mauser barrels any day. Also, craftsmanship is much better than any domestic barrel.

257 Roberts is another option for the small ring actions.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Well, I have amassed the components for my spanish small ring mauser minus the important one. I am looking for a SR 6.5x55 barrel but maybe some old unused war stock or something. I honestly dont want to spend a fortune on this rifle after getting it nice and cheap so does anyone have some good sources? If that isnt possible how about another 7x57?

http://www.sarcoinc.com/mauser.html#4

These are from the '94 Swede.

Ihave one on a '95 Chilean with a '93 guard. I need to find a '96 stock to comlete my "Johnny Cash" Carbine.

They have the 7x57s for the large ring also. Bargain price for high quality barrels. I have one in each 6.5x55 and 7x57 (21") by A&B from Midway for $69 each. Caught them while surfing a bit before work and grabbed them. Will be shooting the 6.5 A&B soon. Just had it screwed onto an '09 Argentine action. All of these were previously relieved of any potential collector value.

Jeff

• 1 month later...