Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hobos

FC

I went to Big Lots today. When I came out an older black fella with about 4 teeth was overly friendly and started talking to me. I was already preparing to be panhandled. He wanted to know why some people won't talk to an old man? I said, "They're probably too busy, or figure somebody wants something out of them". He shook my hand, then started walking with me to the vehicle and talking. He then asked if I could help pay for a cheap meal for an old veteran? I said, "Ohhh, I don't know". I didn't want to, but I gave him 50 cents. Did I get a thank you? Heck no! "50 cents- that won't buy much of a meal". Crap, that was 50 cents he didn't even have to work for!

I would of asked for my 50 cents back! Then asked for his his VA card. I don't think there is a real Veteran begging anywhere! All these A-hole posser's are just giving Vet's a bad rep. Next time just ask for his VA card. Then when he can't produce kick the ###### out of him!

Swamprat

Tony,

The fact that he was panhandling outside of Big Lots tells me that he should not have been expecting more than 50 cents. Maybe he should have been setting up shop outside Dillards.

Hell, I like Big Lots. But if I was going to panhandle, I would move over to the high-rent district.

fritz

Did I ever tell you guys that I used to live in Santa Monica, CA? It seems like a long time ago, and was only for about three years and I thought I had the world by the balls for some reason. I don't know what its like now (living in Santa Monica, and I've forgotten why I thought I had the world by the nads), but in the late-80s it was a panhandlers Mecca. It didn't take too many beer runs having the "starving" dude I just gave a buck to getting to the corner store before I did before I figured it out. I think this was an important developmental point for my currently conservative outlook, and I've been entirely resistant to panhandling since. There were some aggressive ones, and I'm probably lucky I didn't get my ass kicked, but I was young and stupid and in good shape and so I'd usually escalate any aggressive encounter. This was only possible in a segment of unarmed society, and as a result of this experience I completely agree that an armed society is a polite society, and an equally important corrolary to this is that an unarmed society tends to be uncivil. Lord please forgive me for my incivility.

an armed society is a polite society, and an equally important corrolary to this is that an unarmed society tends to be uncivil. Lord please forgive me for my incivility.

I could not agree with you more!

The concealed and carry permit is budgeted for later this year. 9mm or 380?

The V.A. card is what you get when you go to the V.A. hospital. It has your picture on it. Any vet that would be out begging would of used the V.A. hospital for free medical. At any rate if you can't prove your a vet you ain't gettin my money!

Swamprat

You know, its funny you recommend that. They had a snub nose S&W 38 spcl for sale at the same time I bought my .357 S&W. I could've had 'em bought for $300; I kick myself for not buying both everytime I think about it.

I think I may do some gun shopping this weekend while I'm down in Lufkin...

Jason,

You should have bought them both. I love the K-frame for target and around the farm, but for carry I go with the J-frame .38 Special, snub nose.

Easy to carry, even in an ankle holster. Qualify with a semi-auto, then carry a snub-nose .38. It will be better than one of those weak .380s. The 9mm can be had in small sizes now (I sold one to a friend because it was too small for my hands). But if I had the choice, it would be a snub-nose 38.

It don't have to be a S&W, Taurus makes a very good one for less. How often are you going to fire a .38 snub-nose?

fritz