Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The Rains Finally Came

fritz

Yesterday and today there were storms that passed through here and dropped 2.5" on my place (some got more).

It could not have come at a better time, as many of us are in the process of selling most of their cows. In fact I helped load out two truck loads for my sister yesterday. We should have at least a little grass in a week or two.

It could not have been that fire aburning, so I attribute it to the Cinco de Mayo fiesta held here yesterday and today. Those mariachi bands must have done it.

And to think that some folks don't appreciate good rainmaking musica when they hear it!

fritz

After our 8 or 9 month stretch of no rain last year,I know how wonderful it was to see it raining.I burned a big brush pile yesterday in a pouring rain knowing full well,it may be my last chance 'till fall.Up here in Norte Tejas,if you don't get rain the day they start combining wheat,it'll be the last until opening day of dove season.I'm happy for ya'll down there,and now that it remembers how to rain,maybe you'll get some more.Jerry

It's amazing how soon after a rain that the flowers come out. The first are the ones we commoners call rain lilies. They are out now, just a day after the rains. I guess Mother Nature does have a plan for everything after all.

On the way back to the ranch today, I just had to pull over to the side of the road and pick a few. Now I knew that the holy State of Texas has a law against picking wildflowers on "their" roadways. But since I was still a few miles from home and there were these huge patches of lilies in the ditch, I pulled off the road. But it was a very short detour, as my wheels began spinning in the soft ground.

I forgot how soft the ditches can get when they are wet. Hell, give me credit, because it has been so long since they were wet.

I managed to get out by gunning the engine (and now have a very muddy truck). But by damned I got me some lilies!

Here they are---

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/fritz/lilies.jpg

fritz

You bet, she was pleased, but also a little perplexed when I said nothing as I handed her the lilies. I had to explain that I wanted these to be remembered as something special (I didn't tell her about the truck).

The vase and the Mexican fired clay ornaments in the background are also special to me. But that's another story.

fritz

We got 2.5" of rain here in Nac Saturday morning. It was raining so hard on the roof of the trailer that it woke me - sounded like the inside of a base drum at halftime.

The rest of the day was nice; warm and fairly sunny. Just right for helping build that 400 ft of bobwire fence we put up down in Huntington.

I hope, now that the fence is up and the neighbor's cows are safely on the proper side of the fence, that we'll get somemore rain. The pond is still very low...

Those are some fine looking lilies Fritz. All it takes is a little rain and those flowers pop out with amazing speed, don't they?

Yeah, I'm as happy as a cow in clover right now. But I know it will not last. I also believe my cows know it.

We have been through a lot (me and the cows) and I am determined to be the last of the Mohicans (so to speak) in this formidable matter. I will sell no cow before it's time.

That sounds like a wine commercial, though I prefer the schnapps myself. There does seem to be another trip to the spirits store tomorrow. I wonder where that last one went?

At least I ain't row crop farming grain anymore. Those boys are ahead of me in the line at the liquor store.

fritz

fritz,those are purty flowers,and I reckon we don't have those up here.I've never seen those.Now,how about that cabinet next to the fireplace.Is it part of the mantle or just something next to the hearth?The reason I ask is,I have to build something for our fireplace,and Donna wants a surround that comes down the sides and across the top for a mantle,and our fireplace looks like yours.I need pictures and ideas real bad.Jerry

Jerry,

If you will pardon the clutter around the room, here is what the surround looks like. I had it built as a bookcase/cabinets arrangement around the fireplace. Those bricks in the fireplace are from my old house that had a chimney that was fed by a wood stove. We saved them when we remodeled this home. Those bricks are probably 70 years old. The wood is nothing but a cabinet plywood called vireola or something. I hope my sombrero shows up in the pic, along with the 1893 Spanish mauser over the mantle---

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/fritz/cabinet.jpg

fritz

That's it,that's what we want,but would have never thought of book cases on the end,and after all the internet searching I've done,that is the nicest surround I've seen.The ends on ours can only be about half as wide as yours,but plenty big to look good.Those areas that needed something there anyway to fill the space.Thanks so much fritz,I know where I'm heading now.I think I can build it myself,we'll see.I have a 38 Husky Swede that might go over my fireplace.Thanks again,Jerry.