Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Build A Cruise Missle In Your Garage

Doble Troble

There's a fine line between model rocketry and madness. I believe this guy crossed way back over the horizon somewhere...

Maybe backyard fallout shelters weren't such a wacky idea after all. What kind of damage could a 20 lb payload do?

Maybe us Americans should start working on a garage version of Reagan's missile defense system.

20 lb payload, 100 mi range out of NZ, so we're safe for now. It'll take the ragheads a few more decades to run-out of car bomb drivers, and probably another couple more to figure-out how to make a jet engine (even with instructions freely available on the internet) and so I think we have several more years of safety ahead.

I really think that we should use this time wisely by developing garage star wars defenses. We could link them together to form a national grid of well-defended garages. It might help cut down on burlaries too.

Think about it though:

If one man can cook up a cruise missle in his garage, what could a highly motivated and well funded terrorist cell cook up in their garage? And they could be here already. Pick the payload of your choice, strap it to a Mexican, and have him carry it into the US for you. Who stops them? Who would catches the smuggling?

No, I do worry. This type of thing, as harmless and far away as it seems, exists in that grey area between "could I" and "should I". I think its harmless enough to build a flying robot to travel around and maybe take pictures of things for the heck of it. But its too easy to put something like 20 lbs of anthrax it and let it fly over Houston. Or 20lbs of VX gas. Or 20lbs of Cemtex.

See what I mean?

Our high school here in Goliad has qualified for the finals in Virginia with their model rockets. They beat out a lot of other teams to get there.

The object is to launch a rocket with an egg aboard as high as you can, and have the egg intact upon landing. I didn't know our school, a small town school, even had such a class. But they have a teacher that has gathered about 10 students into a class project on rocketry.

They learned well, and are on their way to Virginia for the final competition. The same project was seen on "Junkyard Wars" on TV several years ago, but those are from England (and they talk funny).

fritz

Congrats on your team Fritz! I hope the youngsters do well and learn a bunch! Every minute they're engaged doing something like this, they're not out drinking and running afoul of the law. I hope they beat the pants of the Virginians!

My high school physics class piddled with model rockets a little. Mine exploded when the second stage caught too quickly and that was the end of that. We also did an egg drop; but never an egg launch. And FWIW, my wooden wonder plywood egg container saved the egg - kept it cold too.

Those were the days!