Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Social Security

fritz

This was mentioned before, but what is the document number (somethig DD-?) that you need to present to the social security people to prove you were in the military?

You see, I am about to apply for social security (what a joke) and I was told that if I was ever in the military, I could get a few clams more per month.

I just found a bunch of records from my service, one of which was saying I was separated on a certain date under honorable conditions. Is this the one I need to get a little more out of Uncle Sam?

I am not that worried about getting the few crumbs that may be added to my $341 per month check if I choose to retire (another joke) at 62. I figure this amount will be half of what I just sold a calf for. But is is it true that military service adds a bit to your social security check? Or was I being bullshitted by a few old veterans?

Yeah, I know, go to the SS office and ask this question. But I was hoping someone here (all you old military people) could give me a clue as to what document I needed to prove military sevice. After looking through the first documents mrs fritz has preserved, I found my proof of separation under honorable (but does that make a difference?) conditions.

Also some document that said my security clearance could be transferred without further checks. Hmmm, that was 38 years ago. I doubt anyone would honor that..

But what I found interesting, and what I had largely forgotten, was my records of

schools and achievements, etc that I had while in the service. Yeah, there is always a recorded record of what you did (or failed to do) while in the military.

Anyway, how much extra do you old vets think I can get by proving my military service? Or none at all?

fritz

fritz --

I'm not sure, as I wasn't in the military, but I think the form is a DD 214, Report of Separation. The form you have described sounds like the very form you'll need to reclaim your money!

I don't know if your SS benefit will increase any due to your service, as I think that the SSA only pays out special benefits for certain WWII veterans.

Click on this link to the military section of the SSA site and see if you can find out what you need to know...I hope it helps!

SSA - military

Thanks. That is the form I have. I will be credited with $300 per quarter additional earnings for each quarter I served.

It won't be much, but it will be a few clams.

fritz