Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Help! Did I Screw Up!

spec4 e4

I was lapping my lugs on an rework 98 Turkish Mauser. When I look at the lug on the bolt, it is about 80% but when I looked into the lug area inside the action. there is an step down to where I was lapping. Did I screw up? Do I need to get it reheat treated?? I will be using this action for an 7mm Mauser

Thanks

spec.4

It s doubtful that you alone did all the damage. Most likely there was already some pocketing of the lug seats. you just wiped all the crud off so it could be clearly seen. How long did you lap the lugs for? how many strokes, what grit, etc? My recommendation is to not lap lugs on receivers that you don't have heat treated afterward. The casing can be very thin at times and once you break through it the abrasive cuts quickly. This is especially true when there is already some evidence of pocketing.

If there is pocketing then you have three choices as I see it:

1) Replace the receiver

2) Have it heat treated

3) use it as-is.

I recommend either 1 or 2.

Seeing as it is a Turk receiver you can probably replace it for less than the cost of heat treatment.

My recommendation is to not lap lugs on receivers that you don't have heat treated. The casing can be very thin at times and once you break through it the abrasive cuts quickly.

Z1R, thanks, I used 600 grit and lapped it about 500 times. I plan on reheat treating all my receiver when I get them all done. Cheaper that way.

Thanks

spec.4

On the top seat at the 12 oclock position you will likely find a ridge protruding. Remove it befre heat treating. Then after heat treating a few quick laps of the bolt in the receiver will clean things up nicely.

I'm waiting on the return of an '09 receiver I sent to one of the better Mauser smiths in the nation.

It looked to me to be pretty well set back, so he skimmed .008 off the lug raceway and lapped the primary shoulder an equal amount.

Not certain the expense is financially justifiable, but it's a clean '09 and I had invested some time in stoning.

It will, of course, have to be heat treated.

flaco