Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1903 Mauser Action Question

mrkimball

I am currently looking at sporterizing two Mauser 03 actions, but I am wondering as to which stocks, and barrels will fit this action? Anyone built a sporter on one of these actions?? I currently have the 2 03's, a K.Kale, and a 95 turk torn down, and the threaded portions of the barrels for each specific action has a different length of this area.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

At the risk of showing my ignorance I will volunteer that a 38 is a 38 and the 95 may just be a 93 [reworked if it has no magazine cutoff] and perhaps neither is a true '03. which seem to all be "short shanked" ... In my limited experience, the turk 93 has a longer threaded shank than any small ring I have encountered. The K.Kale posseses,a shank of the same length as an unaltered spanish, chilean, and at least one swede, that I have seen... Abt 5/8"...Stocks for the 93 I cannot help w/ but the 38 will fit in any stock that a typical 98 would utilize, After the retaining ring for the handguard is removed.. HTH and pls don't get upset if I misunderstood!! MV

The 1903 has a shank of .980 diameter and .710" length. The K.Kale shank is the same diameter but run about .635" in length. The 93's run same diameter but .645" length nominal.

Sorry for the confusion on the 03... I thought that it was the large ring conversion , by shortening the front ring for a handguard retainer... MV. BTW What is that one.... atf? Maybe?

Sorry for the confusion on the 03... I thought that it was the large ring conversion , by shortening the front ring for a handguard retainer... MV. BTW What is that one.... atf? Maybe?

Some are marked ATF some are not. The ATF conversions were in the 50's while the other 98 conversions were in the thirties. The 30's conversions are marked much like teh 93's. with the date and the Ankara markings but no K.Kale like the M38's. That's about the best way to tell em apart.

Guest Guest_Couesdeer_*

Now its time for me to show my ignorance.....

I have a 1903 turk action that I am getting ready to sporterize. A small ring barrel screws into it just fine, except it doesn't bottom out on the inner ring. I HOPE all that needs to be done is to have my gunsmith set the shoulder back the .075" so it contacts the inner ring.

I have also heard that sporter stocks designed for the intermediate length yugo mausers will work with the 1903 Turks. (mine is marked ANKARA 1936)

Any gunsmith worth his title will be sure to measure the shank and the distance to the C ring and make any pertinent adjustments. If the guy's done you right in the past, I'm sure it'll be fine.

At worst he may need a reamer to finish things out.

The intermediate stocks will not work. the hole spacing is off. You can make a 98 stock work. if you put a 98 and 1903 side by side you'll note that he front ring of the 1903 will be behind the 98. The action length overall is a bit shorter. Choose a semi inlet that has this area cut short and you will have a nice fit.

Thanks for the specs.. I guess the next question is: Are there any barrels available for the 1903 Mauser?

I have 10 1903's.

I plan on filling mine mostly with cut down remingnton barrels.

I plan a "Tweed" with a new A&B barrel.

I'll have to cut the threads down from 1.1 to 9.8 and set the shoulder

back to the proper length ( as stated = /- .710 )

Lots of folks can thread a barrel.

Ask arround, likely you'll find someone near by or

if you want to ship someone here on the board may

be able to help you out.

tinker