Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bizarre Illness In Texas

Sailormilan2

Hey, Tony. Do you know anything or have you heard anything about this?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/salife/health/

Well, after talking with my son, it appears that it is some hoax to promote a forth coming movie.

http://www.sploid.com/news/2006/05/horror_illness.php

Well let me say this--mrs fritz is with the Texas Dept. of Health Services, and that crap ain't appeared on any releases from them. And they send out releases on just about everything, some of so little importance as to be unnessary.

Rest assured, if you have worms coming out of your ears, they were planted there by aliens from another planet.

That one would be easier to believe!

fritz

I thought it was a hoax, I looked all over the page lookin for April 1 and 'April Fool". I couldn't find anything, I also realize you can't trust anything you find on the internet these days. So, it was with great fear and trepidation that I posted the first link.

Of course, after posting my son told me it is a hoax. Seems someone is trying to promote a new horror film coming out. Ooops. Which is why I posted the second link. Of course, that is all depended on the second link telling the truth. sigh

Well, Medline has a total of one listing for Morgellon's Dz. Don't know if you can see the summary without a login, but it is at http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/1...llons%20disease and this is it:

The mystery of Morgellons disease: infection or delusion?

Am J Clin Dermatol. 2006; 7(1):1-5 (ISSN: 1175-0561)

Savely VR; Leitao MM; Stricker RB

South Austin Family Practice Clinic, Austin, Texas, USA.

Morgellons disease is a mysterious skin disorder that was first described more than 300 years ago. The disease is characterized by fiber-like strands extruding from the skin in conjunction with various dermatologic and neuropsychiatric symptoms. In this respect, Morgellons disease resembles and may be confused with delusional parasitosis. The association with Lyme disease and the apparent response to antibacterial therapy suggest that Morgellons disease may be linked to an undefined infectious process. Further clinical and molecular research is needed to unlock the mystery of Morgellons disease.

endquote

Go to your medical school library and look up the artical in the American Joural of Clinical Dermatoloty if you're interested.

The thing I get from the summary as most important is that half the people with it have a history of Lyme disease. Given the rarity of Lyme disease and the extreme rareness of Morgellons, there has to be some strong correlation there. So, I'd say that if you can stay away from the ticks, you should be OK. Only had about 5 on me last time I went to bait the 'coon trap.

Dr.Hess

Well, since the fireants have taken over the ticks in Texas, we are safe?

Hell, it's been so long without rain down here that the fireants have hibernated.

Does this mean that the ticks will return?

I am left in a quandry--do I go out and buy tick repellant, or just wait for the fireants to return?

Like a bad penny (and Arnold) they will be back!

fritz