Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Fast Food!

roscoedoh

In the last two years I have spent at least a $1000 if not more building a custom rifle, paying license fees, gasoline, food, and misc expenses to hunt whitetail deer. And, I haven't seen anything I could shoot at in those two years.

So after all the time and money, what does that get me? A bumper that looks like an accordian that's what!

Driving home last night, a deer jumped out in front me and I had just enough time to move and not dead center it. I wasn't speeding either. No, Bambi just leapt right out in front of me and took out my bumper, passenger side headlight, and surprisingly, cracked the top of my radiator.

Here's the damage side.

IPB Image

And here's a view of the other side; of what its supposed to look like.

IPB Image

I'll try and post a front view if I can get it to edit properly.

Ok, so I'm lucky. I'm fine and there's nothing majorly mechanically wrong with my truck - aside from the radiator that I'll go fix once everything cools off. I'm going to need a new used bumber and another corner light and everything will be back to relative normal. It just chaps me that I can't hunt the damn deer, but I can run them down. And on top of everything else, the deer ran off before I got a chance to finish him off. There is no justice in this world sometimes....

That sucks. We have hit them also. Around here, the high deer population along with insurance company lobbying has changed things. Our season has changed for the better. It used to be a one deer limit, with doe tags as a lottery. Now we can buy a license for one deer($30), and 4 intensive harvest antlerless tags($14 each). You can only take one antlered buck, but I like a freezer filled with the other ones. Venison, its whats for dinner.

If you run out, please come down here as we seem to have a surplus of the darned things!

I looked into my crystal ball and I forsee a brush guard of the front of my truck before the turn of the new year...

Bummer all around, Jason. Make sure to email your state representatives about the deer population problem. Maybe they'll improve your season.

The population is so robust out here that we can take six deer from September to the end of the year. Two of these MUST be does.

"I looked into my crystal ball and I forsee a brush guard of the front of my truck before the turn of the new year..."

I couldn't live (or drive) without one.

They are also great to keep a zopilote from going through your radiator (or windshield). Sure, you are going to see just what he had for lunch, but he will be stuck in the grillwork (instead of your cab).

fritz

Fritz,

You make all too fine a point about those buzzards. I almost ran one down Monday while I was driving home. It wasn't enough that I did hit a deer, I guess I was due for a buzzard too. Luckily, I dodged that one...

Being an impressionable fool, I allowed my dad to talk me out of building a brush guard when I was actually taking shop classes and had everything I'd need to do it with. I am however, older and wiser and see the need for them. And what I have in mind shouldn't take more than an afternoon to put together.

I am happy to report that the new radiator is now operational and seems to be holding fine. And after some pounding, persuading, and pleading, I have managed to get both headlights pointing same direction again and the hood to shut properly. I'm going to call the wreck-out tomorrow to see about ordering another whiskey dent special to replace the old bumper I replaced three years ago. Hopefully all will be as it used to be soon enough...

Guest Guest_kenak2_*

You might consider yourself lucky you don't have moose there. They really do a job!

The one I hit in "94" cost me a little over $5,000.00

Kenny

Guest Uncle Cowcatcher

Yep...them brush guards work real nice when you're trying to get home from town and the local Hispanic acivists are holding a rally for more free money ...........hardly feel them bumps...and if you turn the radio and AC on....you can drown out all that screaming and cussing.

There's a Dallas County Commissioner that causes all kinds of trouble by leading protest and walking out in front of cars and stopping traffic with his signs chanting crap about black power,and we now call a brush guard and John Wiley Price guard,'cause we wouldn't stop if running over him wouldn't damage our truck.Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Jason, I thought of you as I was dodging a doe in my '89 Mazda B2200. The boys and I we're taking the long way home this morning through the cornfields. We were lucky that Bambi paced us for a few yards before cutting in front. Damn deer can run fast.

Thanks for the thoughts fellows.

I have managed to get my truck back in good running order. Aside from a couple new rattles and I still need a new bumper, everything is operational again.

I have a new found respect for Bambi and I plan to redouble my efforts to kill him this deer season. I borrow Fritz's feral hog logic when I state that there are far too many deer out there. Were they scarce, they would not be terrorizing the highways. We should really try to kill more of them, but with Mausers and Winchester, not Toyotas and Mazdas!

Jason, I agree fully with you on the deer issue. We DO have too many of them in a lot of counties.

That said, we must face the fact that the deer is considered state property. Since we both live in the same state, Texas owns them. The Texas Department of Game and Fish, or whatever the hell they call themselves, owns them.

Now, let me ask you this--do you all have a wildlife cooperative in your county? If you do, they own them (or so they claim). You can join them (if you can't beat them, join them?) but that is not my way of doing things. And I suspect not your's also.

The way it works is this----you join them, put up a sign that says game preserve or something the hell like that, and the warden gives you a little slack (like not patroling around your ranch like the non- members.) Didn't someone once say that membership has it's advantages?

Well, it's not my way. The state can rest easy with my treatment of the deer population. I still believe in releasing them from my hog traps. Even though some have beaten themselve's to a pulp trying to get out of one (even after the door was tied open).

No, deer can be dumb as far as vehicles and hog traps are involved, but I see that you have already learned that they are VERY smart when hunted!

Best of luck on your next hunt (with a rifle).

fritz