Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Getting Out Of Iraq For A While.

Reverend Recoil

Friday I leave Mosul for a five-week vacation. I need it badly. I am more than ready to get out of this cat box. I have not been home since December 2005. It takes thirty hours of travel to get back to Baton Rouge with a layover in Amsterdam. I have enough Euros for several tall beers. I have heard that Holland & Holland has a shop in the Amsterdam airport. I will have to check it out. I have ordered a Winchester Select Traditional Elegance double gun for myself. It’s sitting in my brother’s house. My three sons and I will be burning up some shells at the skeet club. This year’s manly-men’s trip is five days of white water rafting in Hell’s Canyon Idaho. Also included is fishing, rock climbing, and bear chasing. It can’t be any more dangerous than Baghdad. I will post some pictures if we survive.

• 1 month later...

I am back in Iraq for the last time. My plans are to bug-out for good some time before Thanksgiving. It's just as well. I have been working in Iraq over two years and it is starting to wear on me. Today the temperature is 120 deg F. Most of the needs for new design and construction projects are winding down. It was hard to come back. We had the best time in Idaho on the Snake River. That water was ice cold! It was everything we had hoped it to be. We rode the biggest rapids the guides had seen in five years. I caught a five foot sturgeon on the third day. The only things we missed were bear chasing and grits. We almost went to Alaska. On our return trip we had to fly from Boise to Seattle by Alaskan Airlines. It was announced that the flight was over booked and anyone willing to take a later flight would be given a ticket to any destination that they wanted. I told them that we would be willing to spend four or five days hoboeing in Anchorage if they could re-rout the return of the four of us to Baton Rouge. It didn't work. I tried. I would have loved to call my son's mother to tell her the boys are in Alaska, come and get them!

After the rafting trip we spent each day of the next three weeks at the skeet and sporting clays club. We cleaned out all of the 12 gauge shells at Wal-Mart. My new Winchester double gun shoots well. This winter when I am home my off time will be spent sporterizing three Mausers for my sons. Which caliber should I make them in, 308 Win or 6.5X57? I would like a 9.3X62 for myself. Have any of you made one in that caliber? What do you think?

Reverend Recoil

If you are making them for your sons, I would go with 308 Win as it would be easier fot them to find ammo.

Boy, are you gonna have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Take care

karl

P.S.

What is going on in Iraq? Are we gaining or losing ground?

I think the progress in Iraq has slowed down some. Rebuilding infrastucture is easier than changing hearts and minds. That will take more time. It took 45 years to pull down communism.

Most of the pipefitting jobs will be with the oil industry. I would contact Flure, Parsons, or the Shaw Group. They are each working in Iraq.